What's new

Coolidor here I come!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am making the jump from my tiny 50 stick desktop humidor to a coolidor this weekend. I am looking to get a 70 quart extreme from Walmart. I have not decided on my humidification method yet. I have been using Boveda for my desktop and they seem pretty idiot proof to me. My other option is the Heartfelt beads. The only questions are how many Boveda packs will I need for a cooler or how many beads will I need for said cooler?

The other thing that I am reaching out on here for is boxes to fill my cooler. I have only been buying in small quantities and have only two boxes at the moment. Does anyone have any extra laying around? I can pay for shipping. Please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

:usaflag:

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
If you are going HF go on their website and they can show you a calculation for required beads for a given amount of space the same goes with boveda packs too.

Welcome to the edge the decision to jump is yours.

Enjoy JM

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
In my 70qt 6 boveda packs, now I use combination of KL and 3 bovedas. Since your just getting it started id toss in 7-8 keep in mind be hard to keep a rock steady rh when you have lot of space.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I use kitty litter in mine and it's been rock solid for me. I have no idea how much I put in there, but I took two plastic containers from some Chinese take-out and filled them about 1" deep. They sit at the bottom of my coolider along with a small fan to help circulate air inside. Much cheaper than the HF beads but does the same thing.

In the height of the humidity here in Chicago, my coolidor has crept up to 65/66% and, during the dry Winter, it goes as low as 62/63%

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you work the kitty litter the same way as the beads? Meaning do you spray them down with DW on occasion as the humidity drops the same as you would with the beads?

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Do you work the kitty litter the same way as the beads? Meaning do you spray them down with DW on occasion as the humidity drops the same as you would with the beads?
Yes. When I first put them in, I sprayed them lightly just a couple of times and waited 24 hours. Then I just gave them a single short spritz each day until I got the coolidor to the Rh I wanted. I think I only added two quick sprays after initially putting the KL in there. That was back in February or March and I've not had to add any additional DW since. Once you get your cigars in there (along with any cedar boxes or planks) you'll find that the Rh will stay pretty consistent.

If you over humidify your KL, a quick shot in the microwave or a few seconds with a hairdryer will drop them back down.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. Based upon that I suppose I should go to the pet shop. What specific brand am I looking for of kitty litter?

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
Thank you. Based upon that I suppose I should go to the pet shop. What specific brand am I looking for of kitty litter?
I use Mimi litter. It was $4 for 4 pounds at Wal-mart and works excellent. I am running 3 - 60 quart coolers and 3 desktops with it and still have half a bag. 2+ years and rock solid performance.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I use Mimi litter. It was $4 for 4 pounds at Wal-mart and works excellent. I am running 3 - 60 quart coolers and 3 desktops with it and still have half a bag. 2+ years and rock solid performance.

Unless you like "bio-infused cigars" just make sure you use fresh kitty litter and not used.

:rofl: