What's new

Coolidor Kitty Litter Question

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I upgraded to a large coolidor about 8 months ago and have been storing the kitty litter in a old Tatuaje wooden box. I would refill it without taking it out of the coolidor, but as the number of cigars increased I had to recently dig up the kitty litter box to refill it and when I lifted it up I noticed a ton of black mold on the bottom of the box that the kitty litter has been in so I have been quick to remove it and inspect all cigars.

My question is: What do you use to store your kitty litter in that is safe and effective?

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I also use cigar boxes without a problem. Heck I haven't even had to change the litter since I set it up in the wineador. In addition to the KL have 6 65% bovidas throughout which have all held up well too. What % humidity are you trying for and how ofter did you spray?

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Coolidor here and I use two pf the plastic dishes that some Chinese take-out came in. No issues other than the occasional re-misting every six months.

I would suspect that there were some mold spores in the wood before using it to store KL and/or your Rh is too high.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I vote for the wise guy who posted before me. Had issues in the past with sponges but never with any modern humidity medium: crystals, beads or KL seem worry free.

Perhaps there was humidity trapped under your wood for some reason? Maybe elevate it a bit for aeration...

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Just to be safe, I would remove all the cigars to temporary storage (like Ziplocs w/ Boveda packs or a couple of Tupperware containers) and then sanitize the interior of your cooler. Since the mold was at the bottom of the coffin, that's why I think it likely had the spores previously (otherwise the mold would have been on the surface of the KL) but still, considering the $$$ value of the cigars you're keeping (or will be keeping), better to play it safe, IMHO.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The whole idea behind KL is to keep it in a device that is shallow so that you are able to expose as much surface area that you can. There is tupperware that is about an inch shallow that is really good to use....you can even make your own but as I said KL works best if you can get a device that is shallow.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is: What do you use to store your kitty litter in that is safe and effective?
I use 3"x4" aluminum trays, 2 per cooler, and keep the litter 1-1/2" deep. I keep larger stocks or long term stocks in he cooler. I keep 60-75 in my "150 count" humidor.
That one I open daily!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a small humidor I like to use old German plastic snuffboxes to hold beads. I use a Dremel to drill air holes into the top. Plastic throat lozenge boxes would probably also work well.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knee high panty hose cut to size for the size of your humidor. The larger the surface area of the KL, the better. So plan to have larger mesh type bags. I have several small tupperdors that I use along with a foamador(formerly a Omaho Steak foam cooler) for aging. I also have a Coleman marine 100 qt cooler in anticipation for future storage needs. I do NOT mix regular cigars and infused/flavored cigars. Just my personal preference. I also use a 68 or 72 boveda with all my humi's, just to help with humidification stabilty. Again, just my preference.