What's new

Coolidor vs heat help

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i need some advice, brothers. I have a 150 quart coolidor and I use 1 pound of beads plus boveda and a fan. Coolidor stays at 65-67 humidity and 67-70 temp, and I have been happy with that. It's about 3/4 full. Rigor mortis has finally set in on our central air and tomorrow I am having a new unit installed. I expect AC to be off approximately 6-7 hours (just a guess). I know the house is going to heat up big time. Do I have anything to worry about? I have some really nice cigars in there and I am a bit panicked. Taking them to work with me is not an option and no basement option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the ambient outdoor temperature during the heat of the day? What kind of cooler (Yeti/Pelican/Engel or Coleman/Igloo)? If you are concerned, I'd pack about a pound or so of ice into a tight fitting tupperware wrapped in a large bath towel. That should provide enough thermal protection for reasonable conditions/time.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's going to be 94-95 tomorrow, but they are going to start work at 7 while it's a little cooler. My cooler is a Coleman xtreme 6. Thank you. I will give that a go.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could put ice in bowl and set it in there since it's a cooler should keep it nice and cool until new unit is installed

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
Adding ice to the inside of the cooler would be a bad idea. Not only is it going to give you a temperature swing it is also going to introduce extra moisture into the controlled environment that you have worked so hard to create.

If you think about it, coolers not only keep cool air in, they also insulate what is inside them from the warmer air outside. My suggestion would be to place it in the coolest part of your house and maybe throw a couple of blankets over it for extra insulation.

In the words of our resident humidification and storage guru @sofc , "you should be fine"

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I really appreciate all of the advice very much. Thank you. I'm going to leave it alone and hope the workers are as anxious to get out of the heat as I am for them to finish.