What's new

Cooling humidor

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

Just sealed my Montecristo Afrique with an Aquarium sealant a few days ago, and tossed in a couple shot glasses. Within a few days, humidity was up to 66% so wondering if this could potentially have fixed the leaking problem I was experiencing.

Now, with this latest New England heat wave, I have a bigger problem: the temperature in my house, my humi, and my tupperdor which is storing my sticks, is 87 degrees, which I realize is WAY too high. Problem is, due to the archaic wiring in my house, I cannot have AC, so my house gets brutally hot in the summer.

I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions for controlling the temperature in my humi (bearing in mind I have the small Montecristo Afrique). Will setting up a fan on medium to high and just pointing it at the box really make a difference, or will I just be blowing more hot air at it? :argh:

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks,
Justin

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wine fridge eh? I've read a lot of posts on here about people making cigar storage out of these, but how does it work? I thought cigars were supposed to be stored between 65-75 degrees farenheit? Also, can you still maintain humidity using traditional methods (IE beads) with a device like this?

I've been curious about this since I first saw mention of it on this site, if anyone could clarify a bit more about how this works, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
Justin

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Justin, the temperatures in my humies are regularly around 80-90F and I don't see it harming the smokes. The major issue with the temp getting up that high is a beetle outbreak however I freeze my smokes so haven't had any major problems with it. I've had one beetle outbreak in the past but that was due to a single I had bought and hadn't frozen. So far, knock on wood, I'm beetle free and I don't notice a difference in the taste of the smoke due to the high heat.

Edit: I believe reading some where that wine coolers are on sale at Walmart for around $139.

Edit: Target actually.. http://www.target.com/Vinotemp-28-Bottle-Free-Standing-Cellar-VT28TEDS/dp/B000QF3WY0/sr=1-5/qid=1212979398/ref=sr_1_5/601-1194507-2121713?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Awine cellar&page=1

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wine fridge eh? I've read a lot of posts on here about people making cigar storage out of these, but how does it work? I thought cigars were supposed to be stored between 65-75 degrees farenheit? Also, can you still maintain humidity using traditional methods (IE beads) with a device like this?

I've been curious about this since I first saw mention of it on this site, if anyone could clarify a bit more about how this works, I'd appreciate it!

I have a converted wine cooler and I am going to start manufacturing them in the very near future. I have had mine about two months now. I own a cigar business and I live in Florida with lots of heat.....mine is running now at 68.8*F @ RH 65%. I have done countless research on this application. I was reconfiguring the shelves this weekend to allow more air flow and position the humidity trays, it was running on my work bench in the garage with room temp at 90*F and the cooler at 71*F. Mine stores about 300 sticks all in tray boxes made of cedar, each tray box stores average 75 or more cigars. Humidity is an issue with these...when the cool cycle starts it drops to about 55% and when at rest it climbs back to 65% to 70%. I use beads and have been playing with the proper amount and placement in the cooler.

There is no cheap TEC Cooler device unless you want to buy them by 1000 Qty. via China. I have a cigar business and can get the products from China. A complete single TEC Cooler units in the USA will cost you minimum $180 each. Then you need a temp controller, and a humidor box to install it in. It is critical that you know the heat load, fan output, thermal conductivity load of the box (humidor) the balance of cubic feet to cool, temp. and humidity is a real b*&tch to figure out. I am working with an engineer currently. Remember these electric coolers were designed to cool CPU cabinets by just a few degrees and dissapate the heat. A complete unit ready made TEC cooler device with adjustable temp, fan, and A/C power adapter runs about $750 retail. They use them to cool critical outdoor electrical, and phone, circuit boxes. Good luck.....My model will sell for about $499 when done, complete with hydra II humidifier.

Thanks,
Justin

Posted via Mobile Device

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
The deal right now at Target is the best deal going. If you are even considering it, you will not find a better price unless you buyit used. The VinoTemp at Target will cool to a max of 66 degrees.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Is cedar a consideration or is it more for temperature and humidity control?
Cedar is a natural way to prevent bettles and mold, but with temp control, neither should be an issue. Many like the smell of it and it will mix with our cigars well, but if your storeing in boxes, there's a fair amount of cedar already close by. Spanish cedar is the first choice, the cheaper cedars have a much stronger smell and can overpower your cigars if you use it. Cedar also helps to regulate humidity, but if your using beads, it's a non issue.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Hello guys,

Just sealed my Montecristo Afrique with an Aquarium sealant a few days ago, and tossed in a couple shot glasses. Within a few days, humidity was up to 66% so wondering if this could potentially have fixed the leaking problem I was experiencing.

Now, with this latest New England heat wave, I have a bigger problem: the temperature in my house, my humi, and my tupperdor which is storing my sticks, is 87 degrees, which I realize is WAY too high. Problem is, due to the archaic wiring in my house, I cannot have AC, so my house gets brutally hot in the summer.

I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions for controlling the temperature in my humi (bearing in mind I have the small Montecristo Afrique). Will setting up a fan on medium to high and just pointing it at the box really make a difference, or will I just be blowing more hot air at it? :argh:

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks,
Justin
Hey Justin, do you have a basement? I too live in Mass and I keep my cigars in the basement year round. The temp stays nice and low.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Cedar is a natural way to prevent bettles and mold, but with temp control, neither should be an issue. Many like the smell of it and it will mix with our cigars well, but if your storeing in boxes, there's a fair amount of cedar already close by. Spanish cedar is the first choice, the cheaper cedars have a much stronger smell and can overpower your cigars if you use it. Cedar also helps to regulate humidity, but if your using beads, it's a non issue.
Thanks Mitch. I have a coolerdor that I have sheets of spanish cedar in, as well as the blocks and separator sheets from boxes. I'm trying to decide how to eliminate some of the smaller humidors or the coolerdor for space.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I keep my cigars in the basement too (and live in MA), but I find I don't get down there enough to keep tabs on humidity levels.
That can sneak up on you, I do most of the landury and a lot of my tools are in the basement so I am down there quit a bit.