What's new

cork in humi?

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
so... i am currently building a cabinet humidor, and i'm pretty well all set but then i got an idea yesterday and i have no idea if it will work. i think it would be badass to line the shelves with that decorative marble looking cork stuff... but is that a bad idea... might it create a mold issue or something? i am hoping someone who has more knowledge on all things wood might be able to help me figure out if this is doable.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
As far as natural cork, it was used to seal glass tubes with cigars in them and in wine bottles still to this day. So, I don't see any issue with cork. I'm not sure of the product that you are talking about though, but I doubt if mold would be an issue. If it's treated with chemicals though, odors could be an issue. If it passes the nose test, I'd say it's a safe bet.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
I'm with Mitch.

You would be giving up some of the properties inherent in Spanish Cedar, like the aroma and slight pesticide benefits. (and tradition)

That being said, humidors are built with all sorts of stuff. If you like the look, and it's a safe product (natural) then go for it!

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
thanks for the input you guys... and yeah i plan using a natural cork and it will only be lining the shelves. the interior walls are mahogany.