What's new

Craigslist Find - Cabinet Humidor Question

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I picked up a cabinet humidor off of Craigslist that was pretty beat up with lots of paint spray some dents & dings on it. I took it home, took all the drawers and trays out and cleaned it pretty well inside & out. I then lightly sanded all the cedar on the inside of the cabinet / drawers / trays. While doing the sanding I noticed a scent of infused cigars a few times. I can't smell it now but I kept picking up traces of it as I did the sanding. Now I 'm concerned that this smell could permeate anything I put in the cabinet. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Like I said, now that I have it cleaned up pretty good all I can smell is cedar when I stick my head in the cabinet but I just want to be careful because I'm not a big fan of infused cigars. Any suggestions before I bring it out of my garage (which is very messy right now, pardon my photo)[SUP]

humidor.jpg[/SUP]

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
My suggestion would be to season it and once it has been at 65%/70% for a few weeks or so, see if you can smell the infused. My guess is it won't affect them if you can't smell it once it has been brought back up to humidity.

Don't know if you want to risk any cigars on "my guess", but at least it is a starting point...

A little baking soda resting in there as well to absorb any odor???

Don't know what you paid, but looks like a pretty good score from here

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
It looks like a nice find...If it were me, i would put it outside in a safe spot and air it out for a few days. If it is humid out there like it is here, it could be helpful in the seasoning process, too. As an aside, I recently raised the humidity in my larger aging cooler by leaving it open (in the shade) on my deck for a few hours. The outdoor humidity raised the humidity of my beads a few percent, which was what I wanted. It has kept it right at the number ever since.
Airing it out would be my suggestion though. Good luck with it- looks great.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
The smell might just be the cedar while youre sanding. Be careful, I remember reading somewhere a while ago that you should wear a mask when cutting/sanding sp. cedar. G1

ghe

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm far from an expert but it's hard for me to imagine that Spanish cedar would really absorb the aromas of flavored and/or infused cigars. Other cigars will pick up the aromas, but tobacco is almost like a sponge. It just doesn't seem to me that wood would be nearly as absorbent. You could check around in your area and find a woodworking expert -- local community college, maybe, or a local cabinetmaker -- and pick their brain. Nice looking unit, looks like something you'll enjoy for many, many years.