What's new

Creating a Coolidor

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Howdy boys.

You have left me no choice but to upgrade to a "box holding" device.

So, I have read a few things on the site and want to get some advice.

I have a guy at the office who has a mini fridge to give me. I plan to convert. The questions are:

--Is a mini fridge a good idea?

--Should I use beads or a something powered? And does placement of the humidity device matter?

--Will the cedar of the boxes be enough to help maintain the humidity or should i get some extra in it?

Your infinite wisdoms are greatly appreciated.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The mini fridges work good, I use a 31 bottle avanti. The compressor units have issues with condensation, which turns out to be just a maintenance issue. I use both beads, and KL to balance my humi. The non compressor guys swear by theirs, which don't condensate moisture.

Tons of info. here, on this topic.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=8917&highlight=coolidor+primer

Above should help some.

Fridgedor same principles apply as a storage device.

Depending on size of fridge, the more space you have the more chance you need an active RH system like a small Oasis or Hydra and can always use beads up top for RH bounce and to collect excess RH that rises.

Anything that takes up dead space is less space you need to keep humidified. Also will help get RH back up when you open the doors and drool like most people do.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Oh, RH rises so you should place an active system toward the bottom. If using a passive system like beads or KL you should have them in several places both high and low. An Oust or small CPU fan might be needed if say something like 5 cu.ft.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hendy,

Send me your shipping info.

I have 2 Oust fans, that have been modified for max circulation-that I would like to donate to your storage project. I don't use them, since I got my Hydra and I've been saving them for the next Fridgedor convert to come along.

So on we go.
His welfare is my concern.
No burden is he to bear,
We'll get there.
For I know
He would not encumber me at all
He ain't heavy, he's my brother :guitar:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Vorra, did you ever get the external thermostat? It has not gotten warm enough for mine to acctually turn on and cool it off, so I haven't seen the possible condensationissue I'll be facing. I think I'll be using those RV fans the sell on ebay to combate the condensation should an issue arise.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
I have yet to see the size. I will probably have another question based on size when I get it.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Vorra, did you ever get the external thermostat? It has not gotten warm enough for mine to acctually turn on and cool it off, so I haven't seen the possible condensationissue I'll be facing. I think I'll be using those RV fans the sell on ebay to combate the condensation should an issue arise.
MrsV likes the castle warm, so she cranks up the heat occasionally. I'm cruising around the place in my skivvies (not a pleasant sight) and shes all bundled up. Anyway, I keep mine on the highest setting 65-67 deg. and the RH stays right around 65-68 %. I've got a tray of KL on the bottom and one on the top. The HYDRA is setup in the bottom, and I have 2 stockings, with beads in the drip tray at the back of the fridge. I get condensation on the back wall, so needless to say-it makes it's way down to the beads. About every 4 weeks I take the beads out and dry them real good, with a towel and I'm good to go for another month or so. I'm going to rig up a wick of sorts to bleed off the drip tray to an empty tray at the back lower portion of the fridge. Dumping the H20 out of the tray occasionally, will be easier than drying my beads. Open the door drain the tray-viola.

The external stat, may still be an option-but all is good now.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Right on, my highest setting is like 55 degrees and I want it a little warmer than that so the thermo was a nessecity, thanks to MangoMike I was able to trade for it. I alos use KL on top and bottom, and a Cigar Oasis on the bottom.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Hendy,

Send me your shipping info.

I have 2 Oust fans, that have been modified for max circulation-that I would like to donate to your storage project. I don't use them, since I got my Hydra and I've been saving them for the next Fridgedor convert to come along.

So on we go.
His welfare is my concern.
No burden is he to bear,
We'll get there.
For I know
He would not encumber me at all
He ain't heavy, he's my brother :guitar:

My Brotha

Received your contraptions today. Very cool. Thanks you and I will make it up to you.

I have yet to pick up this mini fridge. So when I do, I will have questions.

I already have one.

When the warm weather kicks in here, I will start to get concerned about the temp in the mini. I hear things going back and forth that make me think some of you are running the things to keep the temp right.

Pardon my ignorance, but can these little buggers be set to a temp of 65-70?

Can't get enough advice.

Thanks

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Scott,

Just did a dorm-sized fridge with 2 Oust! fans, a pound of beads and digital hygro from Heartfelt and cigar boxes. It stays rock solid at 65 F in a closet in my 68 F house and 67% RH.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=8917&highlight=coolidor+primer

Above should help some.

Fridgedor same principles apply as a storage device.

Depending on size of fridge, the more space you have the more chance you need an active RH system like a small Oasis or Hydra and can always use beads up top for RH bounce and to collect excess RH that rises.

Anything that takes up dead space is less space you need to keep humidified. Also will help get RH back up when you open the doors and drool like most people do.

Hope that helps and good luck.
when Banger 1st posted this, I did just what it said , I have a 120 and that baby works better than the 5 desk tops i have , can't go wrong with it, I keep it in the Basement and it is always a good RH and temp ...........

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My Brotha

Received your contraptions today. Very cool. Thanks you and I will make it up to you.

I already have one.

When the warm weather kicks in here, I will start to get concerned about the temp in the mini. I hear things going back and forth that make me think some of you are running the things to keep the temp right.

Can't get enough advice.

Thanks
Still working out the nuances of my compresser style unit. But she stays in the 62-68 &#37; RH range and likewise on the temp.Will have to see once the temps go up here in sunny Norcal.
I still keep my eyes peeled (C's list) for the other style without the compressor-like a vinotemp. I believe the are more forgiving on temps-like the upper range. I've got a Hydra, and plenty of beads, so the RH is workable. Just have to wait and see.

Glad the fans made it there.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
My Brotha

I already have one.

Can't get enough advice.

Thanks

Most wine frideges will get too cold, even on thier highest temp. I got a thermostat from guy on here that controls power to the fridge. I drilled a hole in the fridge wall for the temp probe. you then plug the fridge into the thermostat, and when it gets warm enough the fridge turns on. It has not gotten warm enough in the house yet for it to turn on, but summer will be here soon. When we leave the house gets up to 85-90 degrees. I have tested it a lower temps to make sure it comes on, but not for acctual storage. Here is alink to the item I am talking about. I'll try to take pics tonight, but I always flake on that.
http://www.infraredheaters.com/a19bag-1.htm