What's new

Crunchy cigars

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Lately I've noticed some of the smokes coming out of my humidor have a bit of a dry feel to them. When gently pinched they make some slight crackly noises. I keep my humidor around 70% RH. While I'm noticing the bottom section doesn't seem to get up that high, it still reads at 66%, which I know is around where a lot of you keep your cigars anyway.

Do you think this is something to be concerned with, or am I inventing reasons to worry?

-Charles

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
When you gently roll it between your finger you want to hear a slight crackle sound, in my opinion.

As long as the wrappers aren't cracking or falling off and the cigars smoke fine I wouldn't worry about it. You might want to verify the accuracy of your hygrometer though, just in case.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Be sure it's a crack as opposed to just mere friction between leaves (like fabric against fabric). Calibrate the hygro too and get beads.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I guess a larger question here is what they ought to feel like. Straight from the tobacco shop I'm used to a gentle squeeze/roll producing no crackle at all, just smooth (almost squishy) movement of the tobacco. I get the same results in one of my humidors that tends to run a little too high (72% or so).

The ones coming out of this humidor give a slight crackle, though so far nothing has actually cracked that I can see. Maybe I need to smoke and see. Up until now I've been reading this condition as a sign I need to add more humidity ASAP, but after some reading around here now I'm starting to question my assumptions.

The humidor in question uses a foam humidifier on the lid, so the top shelf gets ~70% and the bottom seems to run closer to 65-68.

-Charles

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Your problem IMO, is your humidification and reliance on a hygrometer that is almost certainly off by a lot. I keep my sticks at a constant 65 if I can. At the humidity level they are not too dry (cracking) or too wet (squishy) Squishy sounds like a couple weeks away from mold to me. Better off on the drier side.

To correct your problem throw those foam things away. They are great for getting moisture to a flower but not very good at hydrating cigars. Buy some beads (65%) and don't rely so much on the hygros. If you don't want to move up to beads buy a couple boveda packets.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess a larger question here is what they ought to feel like. Straight from the tobacco shop I'm used to a gentle squeeze/roll producing no crackle at all, just smooth (almost squishy) movement of the tobacco. I get the same results in one of my humidors that tends to run a little too high (72% or so).

The ones coming out of this humidor give a slight crackle, though so far nothing has actually cracked that I can see. Maybe I need to smoke and see. Up until now I've been reading this condition as a sign I need to add more humidity ASAP, but after some reading around here now I'm starting to question my assumptions.

The humidor in question uses a foam humidifier on the lid, so the top shelf gets ~70% and the bottom seems to run closer to 65-68.

-Charles
A fair number of shops overhumidify their sticks (I feel anyway). I personally like smoking a 65% RH, so my sticks are a little drier than most, but they're never really crackly/crunchy. A little bit of some noise when inspecting it isn't a problem. If you start to see the wrapper crack/flexing a lot, then you need to adjust your humidity. Perhaps you're overstocking your humidor and bottom sticks are far lower than the hygro reads?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Recalibrate your hygrometer and get better humidification devices. Heartfelt has a great selection of beads. They sounds a touch too dry and if your cigars lose their oils they'll won't be the same.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
if you are using the green foam humidifer that came with the humidor, there is also a good chance that you are using an analog hygrometer that came with the humidor. If you are using an analog, thats where i would start. Get yourself an adjustable, recalibratable digital hygrometer that come with the calibration bag. That product will give you the exact answer as to what is going on in your humidor.

don't be so fast to throw away your green foam humidifer yet. Those green foam humidifers have been used for many years, and they do work. You should be filling the humidifier with a premixed solution of PG and distilled water. it is sold under the name "humidor solution". this should keep your humidor at about 70%.

if you desire a different humidity level, or something that easier to use, then thats where beads and bovedas will come into play.

I would just hate to see you buy all kinds of new stuff, and find out your humidor leaks, and thats what the problem is.

start with the hygrometer.