What's new

Crystal Gel Cigar Humidification

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am getting a bit obsessive with my humidity levels. I am currently standing on %66 and would like to take it up to %70. My humidor has a 150 capacity with around 70 cigars currently stored there. I purchased a puck-ifier (70/100) which didn't raise the RH to the advertised %70. So I've been looking at other options to support the puck. And have came across the Crystal Gel Cigar Humidification

What do you think guys ? Are there any brothers, who have tried this/similar product ?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I swear by the beads man they're the best.. the problem in your case might be that the puckifier is designed for a 100 capacity humidor whereas you have a 150 one. I would suggest getting a small cigar tube punching some holes in it and filling it with beads to supplement the puckerfier else you can make your way over to hearfeltindustries.com and just pick up a tube to do the same.

I prefer mine at 65% but in your case the issue definitely is that there aren't enough beads to properly regulate humidity. I'm not a fan of the gel it tends to be finiky and not as accurate as the beads. If you don't want to spend money on more beads just buy the regular foam pucks, hydrate and let the beads balance out the humidity.

Hope this helps.

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the heads up brother. Been to the site and like what I see !! I've been looking for a site that would ship to my US forwarding address and I guess that this one does. It's time to get that palio cutter I've been dreaming of. :yes:

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Palio's kick ass have two myself... I think Dave will ship to Bahrain after all he did ship his beads to Pakistan but the shipping will kill ya!

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Guess what dani ! The site does not accept/process credit cards issue in Bahrain. Oh, well ! :hanghead: Back to the drawing board I suppose.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
#1 - Do you have an accurate, CALIBRATED digital hygrometer?

#2 - Does your humidor seal well enough to pass the infamous "dollar test"?

#3 - Why do you want 70% anyways? Is there something to be gained over your current perfectly adequate (and some would say preferable) 66%?

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
#1 - Do you have an accurate, CALIBRATED digital hygrometer?

#2 - Does your humidor seal well enough to pass the infamous "dollar test"?

#3 - Why do you want 70% anyways? Is there something to be gained over your current perfectly adequate (and some would say preferable) 66%?
1- My hygro meter is digital - collaborated

2- Used to have seal issues but solved now.

3- because it fluctuates (drops to 64-65 and goes up to 66)

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've got those exact beads winging their way towards me in the mail (and a new humi!). They'll be for a 100 count box that's roughly 13" x 9" x 6". Will the beads be adequate, or should I look for a way to bolster them?

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I had the crystal gels before and they worked okay...fluctuated too much for my taste. ditched them and got beads for both the desk top and vino. A lot better! And all I need is a gallon of distilled water and they last forever! Plus you don't have to babysit...just check every couple of weeks! Do it up!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
1- My hygro meter is digital - collaborated

2- Used to have seal issues but solved now.

3- because it fluctuates (drops to 64-65 and goes up to 66)
Dude. A 3% swing is pretty good for a small humi like that. Every time you open it to check the hygrometer you have change.

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Dude. A 3% swing is pretty good for a small humi like that. Every time you open it to check the hygrometer you have change.
That's interesting. I did not know that. I am still young in the world of cigar. I became serious about them some 5-6 months ago. So I am still learning and thought that the RH should be solid at the point you set. :eyebrow:

If ya know anyone in the military dave will ship to FPO/AE address for ya...
Yeah, I know a US Marine but he is in Afghanistan. And I don't think that he'll return to the base in Bahrain until Christmas. But I do have a personal FPO in New York. :dunno:

Last edited:

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I've got those exact beads winging their way to wards me in the mail (and a new humi!). They'll be for a 100 count box that's roughly 13" x 9" x 6". Will the beads be adequate, or should I look for a way to bolster them?

The question isn't whether the beads are adequate. The question is, do you have enough beads to do an adequate job based on your humidor's size? I use 65% beads in a large cabinet and in various sized desktops as well and have zero problems. There are aproximations of beads to humi ratios on most sites that sell them.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I've got those exact beads winging their way towards me in the mail (and a new humi!). They'll be for a 100 count box that's roughly 13" x 9" x 6". Will the beads be adequate, or should I look for a way to bolster them?
Viper has a calculator on his site for this purpose. Click here just enter your dimensions and you'll get the recomended amount of beads to use. In your case I think 2 ounces should be sufficient.

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Still waiting for a reply from Heartfelt Industries :dunno: Shot dave an email on the customer services address and nothing yet. Must be due to the weekend