What's new

Crystal Gel in a Desktop - Problems

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have followed the instructions for the Coolidor and have it working like a charm.

I have a 1/2# of Heartfelt Beads in a 52qt cooler. Using my wireless sensor, it stays withing +/- 1 in temp and humidity 69/69%. So very happy with it.

But using the same sensor when I put it in my 25ct desktop, I am seeing 72F and 50%.

Have the CI crystal Gels (2oz) in it, and the instructions say fill with water (distilled) if it gets below the bottom line. Did that, beads absorbed the water, I shook the container and the beads have expanded, but no water above the line, so I added more water. I have done that to the point where the last add has the beads expanded to fill the whole container. There is no room left for the beads to expand except out the top.

What I HAD been doing is waiting for the crystals to get below that bottom line (need to add water line).

(additional facts, This is happening in both of my desktops, not many cigars in there, as I am wanting to get through them before I restock the desktop. I had to evacuate the house a few days, and no AC, and the sensor history showed it got up to 95 in the house. If Beetles happen rather loose a few cigars then a lot. Also the humidity problem has been going on for almost a month.)

My question . . . Are the beads to be hydrated to the point that they fill the container and look almost like a solid mass of jello, with a few air bubble (just did that this morning, seems wrong but what I was doing wasn't working, so what the heck, humidity is up a few points now)? And is there any ideas of why I am can't get to higher humidity?

I would like for it to be higher, as the smokes are too dry for my likes.

Thanks!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
beads and crystal gel are toally different products.

I would bnot use the crystal gel stuff ever but that is me. It sounds liek you have leak or an unseasoned desktop.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I use both products - beads in my wine cooler, and gel jars (xikar & CI brand) in my coolerdor. Both are rock solid in holding humidity. As dpricenter mentioned above, I would check the seal on your desktop that you're putting the gel crystals into. It's probably not holding the humidity very well.

Regards,
Randy

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I'd also have to say that you have a leak, but you can test to see if the gel is doing it's thing,

to test the jar get yourself a lock n lock plastic container or something similarly air tight. place the hygro in the empty container wait a day or two and see what it reads then put the jar in with the hygro if the jar is working the Rh should rise and you know that the humidor has a leak.

If the humidor has that large a leak that it's only holding 50% I suggest to dump it and get another cooler, more cost effective.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Still don't know what the issues is with the Gel, but here is what I know now.

Took the Crystal Gel out of the Humidor and it was at 56% at 70. Put in a Boveda 70% pack 36 hours ago and I am now sitting at 62% @ 72.

IS it possible to get two of the Crystal Gel jars that don't work?

BTW - I have ordered some Heartfelt Beads, and they should be in this week, so I am headed that direction and expect to have no problems. Just thought I would pass on what I have observed.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two desktops that I thought were leaking because they had really low RH, in the 50's. I had Xicar gel humidifiers in each one. I finally just set a small dish of DW in each one and that brought the RH back inline within a couple days. I ordered some HF bead tubes to replace the gel jobs, they have been in for a week or so now and are holding great. I tossed the gel jobs, I am not sure if they were too old to work any longer, because they worked in the beginning. Regardless, I will not be returning to them now that I have the HF beads.