What's new

Cuban Music

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Do any of you listen to it? I really like all the tracks I have heard in the various cigar DVDs but don't have any.

Anyone have anything to reccoemend?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have some Afro-Cuban All-stars, Joe Cuba Sextet, and a compilation "Putumayo Presents: Cuba"

You should see Buena Vista Social club and check out there music, also Celia Cruz!

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Is that a movie? I'll have to go download some of those others
It's a movie about the band, so they have albums out too.

I just found some more stuff in my library I didn't know I had. Do a search on amazon for Sonora Matancera and you will get some more albums.

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Buena Vista Social Club is a good start. Reuben Gonzalez solo works balances latin and traditional jazz wonderfully.

I've been lucky enough to see Bebo Valdes perfom at the Vanguard. Brialliant musician. A great CD is Lagrimas Negra. There's also a good DVD of the performance as well. His son, Chucho is quite talented as well.

Not much of a fan a reggaeton but it's huge in Cuba.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there was a great compilation series called Hecho En Cuba, all the cd artwork was cigar-inspired.

3 volumes, i think they put them all in a single boxed set. i've seen it at Barnes & Noble, but i bought all 3 cds before the set came out. great music.

AndrewDill

San Diegan
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Not really Cuban per say, but;

Bossanova; Joao & Astrud Gilberto, John Pizzarelli, Baden Powell, Stan Getz

Other cool latin stuff; Sergio Mendez, Brazil 66, The Motorcycle Diaries Soundtrack, Gustavo Santaolalla, Manu Chao

GWN

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Bueno Vista Social Club, for sure. Certainly gives you a real flavour of the island. Also check out an album called Rhythms del Mundo that features os contemporary artists like Jack Johnson and U2 playing with Cuban musicians.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Good recommendations so far. Stan Getz, Gilberto, is Brazilian, but fantastic.
If you're looking straight up cuban, check some of these out.
Buena Vista is pretty good (not truly authentic, but good chill out stuff). Any of the featured artists from Buena Vista (Israel esp.) are great authentic Cuban singers.

Cachao (salsa)
Irakere is an afro-cuban band that is probably the most innovative band from the 1970s to 90s. They combined traditional African elements of Cuban folk music (rumba, Santeria ceremonial stuff, with jazz and salsa). Chucho Valdes, Paquito D'Rivera, Arturo Sandoval all had their starts with Irakere. All the above mentioned guys are fantastic for their modern stuff of salsa and mainstream latin music.

Los Van Van (salsa) is great.
Also, if you're looking for straight-up Salsa, go with Spanish Harlem Orchestra.

Bene More is famous as a "crooner" style (huge in the 30s-50s)
Cubanismo is freakin awesome (latin jazz, trumpet heavy)
NG La Banda (salsa)
Orquesta de la Luz (salsa)
Pedro Luis Ferrer (folk cuban, singer songwriter style)
Mario Bauza (mambo style)
Conjunto Folklorico Nacional de Cuba (folklore, historical revitalization, lots of Santeria type music along with traditional rumba, etc.)

If you're looking for a particular type of Cuban music, let me know, I can let you know where to find stuff. hope that helps!