What's new

Custom Humidor

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Has anyone tried building their own humidor? I have had the idea for a couple of years now, but havent put it to the saw yet...

I am wondering if anyone has built one, was kind of woods they used such as exotics and how you made the seal/gasket...

I am pretty good with woodworking I just havent ever tried to make a "airtight" cabinet.

Thanks for the help/ideas!

Ken

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Hey Ken. I built one last year. I can grab some pics if you'd like when I get home. It's made out of solid Cherry, with a Paduak panel on the top bordered with an ebony inlay. For a good seal, all you really need is 1/4" Spanish Cedar lining on the top or bottom that overhangs the opening. As long as you keep the tolerances pretty tight, that's really all you need. I grabbed some Spanish Cedar veneer for the 4 inside-walls & bottom of the humidor, as well as the inside of the top. The 4 inside-walls on the top are lined with the 1/4" SC and they overhang into the bottom by 3/8 - 1/2" maybe. It's actually quite easy.

You've got a good tablesaw, jointer, planer, etc. right?

- Ryan

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just built a humidor this year. Converted an old ice box into a humi. Check out my gallery and let me know what you think.. I will answer any questions I can.
Later,
Conan