What's new

Damaged cigars = lower RH?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Hey guys,

I moved out of my old apartment into a house last week. In the process of the my move, many of my cigars were damaged (just wrapper damage). But, I was able to keep my vino plugged in during the process of moving. It's been a week now and my RH is holding at around 59%, where it was always a consistent 65% previously.

Do damaged wrappers reduced RH because the binder/filler are absorbing humidity? Or is it just my vino adapting to the new location? Or something else entirely?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Definitely. It's what caused the smokes to get damaged. But it wasn't moved enough to damage the actual fridge itself. Would the heartfelt beads react to being moved around a bit?

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
My beads and cigars travel all the time. Never an issue. You just have to keep the cigars physically protected during transit, though it's a little late for that tip now.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
My beads and cigars travel all the time. Never an issue. You just have to keep the cigars physically protected during transit, though it's a little late for that tip now.
Lol true. I thought I had them set, guess not.
Anyways... I guess I can rule out the beads as the culprit.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would check your door seal...the vino may have been racked and not sealing as tight. Also if it is a glass front, check that as well...the seal around the glass may have been compromised in the move. Just my guess though.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I would check your door seal...the vino may have been racked and not sealing as tight. Also if it is a glass front, check that as well...the seal around the glass may have been compromised in the move. Just my guess though.
^ This. Also the wrappers can be fixed by patching them,you might have to sacrifice one to repair many though. It's not a difficult process at all.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Thanks guys. It slowly came back up. I have no idea what caused it. But it's back to holding steady at 65.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
It takes quite a bit to physically damage a vinotemp. Ours fell over the first time we had it in the RV. After a 4 hour drive we pulled over and the vino had fallen over, the tv fell on top of it, and the water faucet was pouring our entire tank all over the place. The TV has a few scratches still, the vino never broke seal, even with all the trays hitting the door. We tried to prop it, and brace it, etc a few more times before i finally cracked and bolted it down. Still holding rock solid 65/65 right now. I have my cigars packed in a manner that they won't flop around and hit each other-think of the cigar caddys with their foam padding-it's there for a reason.