What's new

Did my humidor quit on me?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
image.jpg Ok... So I have a 100ct desktop humidor the wife got me last year. This thing has been working perfectly up until about 2 weeks ago. I keep 2 jars of beads and one 69 boveda pack in it and it stayed at 67% constantly until recently. It's now been reading 62-63% for the last 2 weeks. The beads have enough DW and the boveda is not dry. I have a zederkoff hygrometer in there, I thought it might be going out, so I switched it with the one in my mini fridgeadoor which always stays at 69.... After a couple days I checked it out and they were the same again. The one in the fridge was 69 and the one in the humidor was back down to 63. Maybe this is a result from running the heating in my house? Maybe I need to add more humidity to it? What do you guys think?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Most likely it's just the dry winter air. Get yourself some airtight Tupperware for the winter months.
The humidity outside has been in the 80s the past several days but I guess running the heat at nights may be sucking it out of the house. The mini fridge has been unwavering at 69% but I guess it has a better seal. You recommend abandoning the wooden humidor for the winter months? What do I do? Just re season it come spring?

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I figured being a gift from the wife it had meaning to you. Don't be afraid to over do it on the Bovedas. They are 2 way humidification units. If it were me, I'd buy 2 or 3 and add them 1 at a time on top of the one you already have until you get your desired RH.

63% is still nothing to panic about.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I figured being a gift from the wife it had meaning to you. Don't be afraid to over do it on the Bovedas. They are 2 way humidification units. If it were me, I'd buy 2 or 3 and add them 1 at a time on top of the one you already have until you get your desired RH.

63% is still nothing to panic about.

I'll definitely be picking up some. It seems strange to me it just started happening though, we keep the house at temps in the high 60s year round luckily the wife is hot natured like me. I know that conditioning the air removes rh in the house, but I didn't expect this big of a change in the humidor. Do any of you guys have to add humidity because of outside air temps?

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My coolers fluctuate slightly in temp and rh when the heat is on compared to no heat or air conditioning. The air temperature outside the humidor directly affects the temp inside. They aren't insulated (most). Coolers are less affected by temp changes because they are insulated, hence why so many use them.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
With the thermostat set on 69 the temp inside should not fluctuate more than +/- 2 degrees, but maybe this is enough to throw it for a loop. I'll get a couple more boveda so and throw in there to see if that fixes it. If not I may be able to move most of the sticks into the mini fridge because it's not very full and I can get a cooler for the rest.thanks for the help, man

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My wood humis struggle this time of year. The glass top one sits out on a cabinet. A smaller one in the cabinet. Both have dropped. My tupperdors and ammodor haven't moved. I have actually put a small bow of distilled water in the bigger humi. Several days, if it gets in the upper 60's or 70, I take it out and it starts back down. It was solid all summer. It's just the dry heated air.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YMMV, but I always have to add humidity - extra Boveda packs in Winter. For some reason running the heater seems to suck rh out of my humidors. I compensate with extra Bovedas in winter and that seems to do the trick for me. Good luck my friend!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've had the same problem in the past and only in the winter. I'd do what others have mentioned and toss in some more boveda packs. Keep us posted on the progress! And I'd never get rid of something like that especially if it was gifted. I'd never forgive myself for doing that.