What's new

Did you seal the drain hole in your wineador?

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
If you sealed the drain hole on your wineador, did you do it out of necessity to maintain RH?
Or did you do it before you ever took a RH reading?

I purchased a vinotemp 16 bottle cooler off CL for $30 about 2 weeks ago. I cleaned it out with warm water and mild soap, let it sit for a day off and open. Then turned it on an added about 1.5-2 lbs of ultra pearls kittly litter and a small bowl of distilled water with a paper towel sticking out of it. After 3-4 days my cooler was holding solid at 66*, 65% humidity. So I removed the water and it seemed to stabilize at about 63%. It's been holding steady at 63% without any cedar or cigars for about a week. All I have inside there is a digital hygro and the KL, plus two small wood shelves. For some reason the wine cooler came with wooden shelves. I don't know what they are, but they aren't cedar. I don't know if the shelves are helping maintain the RH or not.

Anyway, I just realized that I forgot to plug the drain hole.
It appears that I won't need to. I mean... when I fill it with cigars and cedar, it will only become more stable, right?
Perhaps it will be different in the winter when the humidity isn't so naturally high. I think it's around 90% outside today, lol.

Just wondering how many of you have the holes plugged.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I just put a piece of tape over mine. Not totally sealed, but good enough. And if I ever need to remove it: easy.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Not that any significant amount or air would be able to be exchanged through such a small hole (especially when compared to opening the door) but isn't it good for cigars to be able to breathe a little bit during the aging process?

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Youll get that "breath" when opening the humis every week/day whatever your smoking habit allows. As far as aging yes/no. (need to get all these videos done lol) Some cigars age for decades (many CCs) Many NCs such as Nics and Dominicans (or blends of multy countries) are aged for years before ever being rolled. So that final fermentation process was achieved well before being placed in a box/rolled. Many do not consider a aged cigar unless it has been down for 24 months of REST. So a cigar would be "rested" in your humi for 18 months that is.