What's new

Do I need a humidor in Florida?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I formerly lived in Colorado. I know I needed a humidor there. When we moved to Florida recently, I had to throw my humidor away while on the road, because it kinda got destroyed. It was old and cheap anyway.

Now, that I am again living in my homestate of Florida, I wonder if I need a humidor at all. I have two weather stations: one that is totally analog from the 1960s, and one that is new and digital, and I have never seen the humidity lower than the high 50s (I was out of the country for the big winter freeze we had here, so I couldn't check then).

So, I wonder if I should even bother investing in a humidor.

Thanks in advance.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
oh, in that case, by all means. I had suggested the cheapest option.

Cabinets are quite nice!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I was actually thinking about one of those side-table or end-table humidors. Something that looks really nice
Nice option, but make sure you in invest in an adjustable hygrometer, a Hydro Humidifaction device or beads to ensure your cigars are maintained in the optimun environment.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Big question is where you will keep it, here with high summer temperatues you need to be mindful of beetles. If you will keep a large collection and not keep your AC at 73 year around in the house, you are taking risks. A small humidor or tupper ware container will work, but if you will have enough money in the cigars to hurt real bad if you get beetles, you will want to consider a Vino Temp type set up.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Very true. Even with my house set at 72 year round, some of the rooms in the house get hotter (the ones that face the sun for 8-10 hours)
If you plan on having a significant amount of $ in cigars, an Avanti/Vinotemp winecooler would suit you well.
A few hundred dollars early on could save you thousands later.

CheapHumidors

Your resident HumiDork
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking about one of those side-table or end-table humidors. Something that looks really nice
We definitely need humidors here. It gets WAY too hot and the humidity isn't stable enough to keep the cigars.

Although, when I moved to Florida my first thought was "Do I need my own sauna here or should I just go outside?" :p so I get where you're coming from.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Definitely.

Large temp and RH swings are not good for cigars long term. Besides, although the RH is pretty high for the most part year-round the temperature is as well. The beetle issue has been debated but mold will definitely onset. Your only option is to get a cooled humidor or a wine cooler with thermoelectric cooling so you can regulate temperature and humidity. It's really a no-brainer.