What's new

Does it need to be a Vinotemp?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Mine is not a VinoTemp, and works just fine. You may need to invest in an external temp controller in the case that the highest temp setting is too cold. A little condensation may occur when it kicks on, but it never affects my smokes.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
It doesn't have to be Vinotemp, that's just a brand. However, I would recommend thermoelectric as it tends to be more stable at maintaining RH than the standard compressors are. With a compressor driven cooling system it's really just a small refrigerator. I owned an Avanti thermoelectric wine cooler a while back and it worked fantastic. I would advise to stay away from compressor driven systems if you can.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
The only reason I have a Vinotemp is because it was pisscheap at Target ($149 when I bought it).

Previous to this one, I also had an Avanti (gave it to my father-in-law; still works great).

Like Jason said, brand doesn't matter; just be sure to get a thermoelectric/non-compressor model.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I guess this is kind of a thread jack but I read some where that one of the US cigar manufacturers sent regular refrigerators to their factories in the DR to store the tobacco. According to them if you plugged the drain hole it maintains humidity pretty well anyone heard of that?

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Looks good to me. Get ahold of MtMouse (PM on here). He can make you custom Spanish cedar shelves and trays(for singles) for any unit. Give him shelve size and money he'll send them to you in no time. I know at least 3 0r 4 (myself) have had him make shelves for vinotemp and others all were 100% pleased.