What's new

Does number of sticks in a wineador matter?

slave2theaxe

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
As far as humidity control goes, do you guys think the number of sticks you have in a wine cooler matters? Some have said that if you don't have it xx% full, humidity levels can be difficult to control.

The reason I ask, is I just gifted a bunch of sticks to a couple of my boys who are deploying to Balad and I'm pretty much left with what's in my desktop humi. I'm currently building my Edgestar and I don't want to put my current stash in the new wineador if I'm going to have a bunch of humidity problems...

So I guess my question is should I risk putting my current stock in the new cooler or keep everything in my desktop until I build up some more stock?

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Throw some empty boxes in there to take up the extra space and you will be fine. The only problem w/ humidity with wine coolers is that there is sooo much space to keep humidified, if you open the door it all leaves and your beads start to humidify the whole thing. If the wine cooler is 80% full or so (even with empty boxes) the beeds only need to humidify the 20% of air space left open.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
Due to the size, 25 is right on... the wineador is not naturally going to hold onto humidity...when you open the door you have a huge amount of air being exchanged and since it's plastic...your beads have to do much more work.

Empty boxes, cedar drawers, cedar shelves, more sticks...all of these will help.

Enjoy!

Lorax429

Dagum
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
One word of caution.

I can tell you from personal experience you want to avoid over filling it. I had a big condensation problem and several cigars got soaked because I had mine overstuffed. Leave enough room for good airflow.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
One word of caution.

I can tell you from personal experience you want to avoid over filling it. I had a big condensation problem and several cigars got soaked because I had mine overstuffed. Leave enough room for good airflow.
I had the same problem leave room for air to flow. Mine just about froze over and built up a lot of moisture.

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
One suggestion would be to just put the humidor in the wine cooler as it will obviously take up quite a bit of space. The empty box suggestion is key as throwing fifty sticks in a wine cooler isn't going to work great.

Condensation in the Edgestar is caused by a lot of things, one of the keys to my understanding is that the size of the warm and cold Peltier units are vastly disproportional (given the wine cooler's target temperature is much lower than what most of us keep it at, it's understandable) and this is the largest culprit for condensation, particularly in the warmer climates.

Air flow is important, one or two Oust fans or computer fans at the front of the unit should do the trick, moving air is important, but doesn't require eight fans, particularly in that small of a space.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Moving air is important, and the empty boxes will help take up some space...

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
One word of caution.

yep, same issue here even with a fan going. I had probably 600- 700 cigars in there. I now only have about 250 .