What's new

Drawer Finish

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I posted before that i was graciously gifted a set of drawers build by Forrest. They have unfinished curly maple fronts as i'm planning to finish them using aquafortis. Does anyone have any recomendations of what to use after the finish is applied? Clear coat, some other sealant or just leave raw? THanks all!!!

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
ummm, aquafortis, that stuff can be pretty harsh, I do 18th century re-enacting so I have a fair amount of experience with acids, maybe some of Laurel Mountain Forge stain would work better for you, they really bring out the tiger stripes in wood. But thats just me. One thing for sure, I wouldnt get it any where close to the inside of the drawer, let all of the interior bare as a babys butt....
Just my humble opinion

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
ummm, aquafortis, that stuff can be pretty harsh, I do 18th century re-enacting so I have a fair amount of experience with acids, maybe some of Laurel Mountain Forge stain would work better for you, they really bring out the tiger stripes in wood. But thats just me. One thing for sure, I wouldnt get it any where close to the inside of the drawer, let all of the interior bare as a babys butt....
Just my humble opinion
ARe you refering to the smell of the aquafortis or the acid itself? I've used it before on stocks and it creates such pronounced stripping. Never used the Laurel Mountain. And i'm only planing to use it on the fronts.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
both, smell and the use of acid. I used to use an acid on my powder horns, made it hard to breath a day or so after using it... nasty stuff. I got skin cancer twice on my right cheek and had to do topical chemo both times and I often wondered if it ever had anything to do with using the acid to dye the horns. I stopped using it about 7 years ago. I will agree that aquatfortis does bring out the strips in maple better than anything else. Good luck with the project, maybe post some before and after pics so we can see your work.