What's new

Edgestar 28 smell?

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Ive had my edgestar for almost 2 months now but I haven't set it up since my shelves are still MIA. In preparation for them shipping I decided to throw about half of my boxes in to start seasoning it and seeing what humidity/temp will be like. When I got it, I originally cleaned it out with some mild soap and baking soda to soak up the plastic smell and it never went away. I figured it would just be there until time past long enough. So I threw my sticks in there yesterday morning and the smell is pretty strong but the boxes don't seem to be affected by it yet. Do you think this is a problem? I dont think I can get any more smell out with cleaners without adding a cleaning scent to it.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I tried baking soda with mine, and even charcoal. None of those helped greatly. I found that just leaving the door open for awhile helped the most. After I put the cedar trays in there, the plastic/chemical smell went away completely. Now I just have the sweet smell of cigars/cedar :)

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
How long did you leave the door open once you got it? If you have never left it open for an extended time, clean it out again with a mixture of baking soda and water and then leave the door open for as long as you can to air it out.

Also, you don't really need to "season" a wine fridge like you would a humidor. You season a humidor because it's all cedar and you need to allow the wood some time to absorb a little moisture. With a wine fridge, the only "seasoning" you need to do is if/when you put some empty boxes or the cedar shelves in. Even then, it won't take that long.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
The edgestars have the worse smell IMO. Cleaned mine 3x left the door open for a month. Then went to activated charcoal still to this day. The charcoal was the only thing to finall rid the smell.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
How long did you leave the door open once you got it? If you have never left it open for an extended time, clean it out again with a mixture of baking soda and water and then leave the door open for as long as you can to air it out.

Also, you don't really need to "season" a wine fridge like you would a humidor. You season a humidor because it's all cedar and you need to allow the wood some time to absorb a little moisture. With a wine fridge, the only "seasoning" you need to do is if/when you put some empty boxes or the cedar shelves in. Even then, it won't take that long.
I know I don't need to season it, I just threw in a bunch of boxes to see how my temp/beads reacted.

I left it open for almost the 2 months I've had it.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Both of mine had some smell to it when I put empty boxes in... after a little while (maybe a week) it only smelled of cedar. I made sure to open/close the door often during that time to let the air out and get fresh air in.

I guess it's hit or miss with each one...

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Can not tell you how reassuring it was to find this thread.

As much as I would love to let the thing air out for days/weeks, I had to throw in my humidor and boxes with boveda packs into the Newair to weather the heat in an unairconditioned house. I will open up the cooler periodically tonight to air it out.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Mine had the strong plastic smell that cleaning did nothing for. The only thing that really worked was filling it with crumpled up newspapers for a few days... smell was gone for good.

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
I never really noticed a smell from my edgestar... However, as soon as I got mine, I immediately cleaned it with a laundry detergent/water mixture and then let it air dry with the door open. 2 days and no smell. Using it happily ever since

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
So what I did so far:

Quart of hot water with a few drops of dish soap and couple tablespoons of baking soda.

Two days of crumpled up La Opinion.

Aired out with a fan for a day.

Still smells.

I should say, that the house has been really hot, and I wonder if it is like a water bottle on a hot day, where it is leeching for the first time in a non climate controlled environment.

Will try the Mr. Clean and soap, and follow by another round of the periodicos.

I should mention, I am glad I went with electrical tape to cover the condensation vent. Easier to remove to get that little bit more airflow. Now if I can find a rubber stopper instead...

Simplechords

The Bearded Wonder
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine had the strong plastic smell that cleaning did nothing for. The only thing that really worked was filling it with crumpled up newspapers for a few days... smell was gone for good.
Newspaper works wonders. Got the smell out of my cooler in less than half a day.