What's new

Edgestar Condensation

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
So, I set up my edgestar following OBLeft's build: Plug the drain and then use aquarium tubing to redirect the condensation. Initially I had it redirecting into a small tupperware container with .5 lbs of heartfelt beads.

Here's the problem - the humidity outside of my humidor in this apartment is between 70 and 80% pretty constantly. When the compressor runs, it produces a lot of condensation. Enough that, even with a leak-free redirection tube, some small puddles still from on the ground of the wine cooler (At the end of the day, there will be one puddle, maybe two, and they're quarter sized)

The bigger problem is that the tub full of beads has, by the end of day one, turned around 75-80% clear already. What I've done now is to empty the bead tub out - I'm just going to use it as a regular catch-bin. I'll put the beads into nylon sacks/hose sacks and place them in my drawers for more constant RH throughout the humi.

Another problem from the catch bin is that, as of now, the top shelf of my humidor is at 63% (I believe this to be because of two things. 1. The compressor is right there, so there's more humidity loss and 2. the top of my humi is about a foot tall stack of boxes pretty tightly packed until my last two drawers get in, so there is less air/humidity transfer) while the very bottom of the humidor is 69-71% because of the catch bin being so saturated.

Can anyone think of anything I can do to reduce condensation? I'm using an ETC set for 65-70 degrees, so It runs for about 15-30 minutes every hour (if I had to estimate). Should I stick with an empty catch bin and a lot of beads? Put the beads back into the catch bin? Any input would help.

Soon I will have two more drawers getting in from GolfNut, so there will be more humidity exchange top-to-bottom, but I will still have the condensation.

Thanks guys!

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
You don't really mean compressor here, you do have a thermoelectric, right?

I know that I sent you the Oust Fan, as a temp. fix, but you need more air circulation than it provides to help even things out. A couple of CPU fans are cheap enough and easy to install.

So, I set up my edgestar following OBLeft's build: Plug the drain and then use aquarium tubing to redirect the condensation. Initially I had it redirecting into a small tupperware container with .5 lbs of heartfelt beads.

Here's the problem - the humidity outside of my humidor in this apartment is between 70 and 80% pretty constantly. When the compressor runs, it produces a lot of condensation. Enough that, even with a leak-free redirection tube, some small puddles still from on the ground of the wine cooler (At the end of the day, there will be one puddle, maybe two, and they're quarter sized)

The bigger problem is that the tub full of beads has, by the end of day one, turned around 75-80% clear already. What I've done now is to empty the bead tub out - I'm just going to use it as a regular catch-bin. I'll put the beads into nylon sacks/hose sacks and place them in my drawers for more constant RH throughout the humi.

Another problem from the catch bin is that, as of now, the top shelf of my humidor is at 63% (I believe this to be because of two things. 1. The compressor is right there, so there's more humidity loss and 2. the top of my humi is about a foot tall stack of boxes pretty tightly packed until my last two drawers get in, so there is less air/humidity transfer) while the very bottom of the humidor is 69-71% because of the catch bin being so saturated.

Can anyone think of anything I can do to reduce condensation? I'm using an ETC set for 65-70 degrees, so It runs for about 15-30 minutes every hour (if I had to estimate). Should I stick with an empty catch bin and a lot of beads? Put the beads back into the catch bin? Any input would help.

Soon I will have two more drawers getting in from GolfNut, so there will be more humidity exchange top-to-bottom, but I will still have the condensation.

Thanks guys!

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Doc, I had the exact same problem. Here's what I did:

1x 120mm computer fan
1x power pack (5V output or equiv for the fan you have)
4x cable ties
1x water catchment (as large surface area as possible)
1x timer for the power pack

Hook everything up as in the photo with the fan blowing downwards. The power pack I used was from an old ADSL modem that died. I stripped the plug on it and soldered it to the fan connector.
I set my timer to 15m on and 15m off. Seems to have the least fluctuation in humidity.
The plastic water catchment in the photo was replaced with the largest I could fit in there to increase the surface area. This makes it easier for the water to evaporate when the fan is running.

After it was running for a few weeks, I removed water from the tray a little each day till the humidity stabilised with the minimum amount of water in the tray. I also have 2lb of HCMs placed evenly around the wineador.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
Update - It's been cold all day/night, so the thing isn't really running that much... However, the bottom of my humidor still reads 67/76, the middle is at 68/69, and the top is at 68/70. So I got the top better, and the middle (which is where the majority of my sticks are) is fine... I think the problem in the bottom is that I have spanish cedar drawers, so when the beads in the catchbin got super saturated, they super-seasoned the SC. So I'm emptying the catch bin (and putting a lid on it so it doesn't release moisture/humidity) and then using my HCM beads to try and absorb some of the excess down there while my Heartfelts regulate the rest of the humidor...

And, of course, I'll get some computer fans ASAP. Mount one on the roof of the cooler pointing down (along the back, since the drawers from GolfNut don't touch the back wall and allow for humidity/air transfer through the back of the cooler) and put another one or two on the back wall pointing out

I think those things should just about do it.

You don't really mean compressor here, you do have a thermoelectric, right?

I know that I sent you the Oust Fan, as a temp. fix, but you need more air circulation than it provides to help even things out. A couple of CPU fans are cheap enough and easy to install.
I thought thermoelectrics used a different kind of compressor... My mistake. Yes, It is thermoelectric

I'll get some computer fans when I have the time to install them - I know that is one of my big problems.

Doc, I had the exact same problem. Here's what I did:

1x 120mm computer fan
1x power pack (5V output or equiv for the fan you have)
4x cable ties
1x water catchment (as large surface area as possible)
1x timer for the power pack

Hook everything up as in the photo with the fan blowing downwards. The power pack I used was from an old ADSL modem that died. I stripped the plug on it and soldered it to the fan connector.
I set my timer to 15m on and 15m off. Seems to have the least fluctuation in humidity.
The plastic water catchment in the photo was replaced with the largest I could fit in there to increase the surface area. This makes it easier for the water to evaporate when the fan is running.

After it was running for a few weeks, I removed water from the tray a little each day till the humidity stabilised with the minimum amount of water in the tray. I also have 2lb of HCMs placed evenly around the wineador.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks for the pointers, Hasan, seems like the fans are, unanimously, the thing that will help me. However, I can't get your pictures working... I'll get to installing fans as soon as I can. I personally prefer HF beads (at least so far) so I have two pounds of those, along with a half pound of HCMs.

I'll get crackin' on the computer fans and make my catch-bin a closed environment until I can get everything else stabilized.

Thanks guys!
Jeremy