What's new

edgestar cooler

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Just got a edgestar 16 bottle cooler. I can't seem to get it warmer than 59 degrees. Will this be to cold to hold boxes? Is there a way to get it warmer since I have it turned to the max warm setting. Thanks for the help

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
My 28-bottle unit only goes to 60, 61 on a good day and that is just fine. It's not my preference either as I would like it to be around 65-67, but 59 will be just fine and they won't hurt the cigars.

One recommendation I got from someone when I posed this question a few months ago was to pull the cigars out a little bit in advance before smoking to make sure they acclimate to the outside temperature so there is no splitting etc.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
60 degrees is fine. The thought on that is that it will slow aging long term but it won't hurt the cigars. I wouldn't concern myself with that at all.

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 28 Edgestar won't go above 59-60 either. Shouldn't harm the cigars. You can always get an external temp regulator or throw a timer into the plug and a plug the cooler into that.

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine also runs constantly, I may put it on a timer as well. I could actually probably leave it unplugged til' next summer when it starts to get warm. Timer is a cheaper solution than than a external temp controller though.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
The only way to obtain a specific temperature is to get an ETC. A timer would work to get it a bit higher but there is no way to regulate the temp at all like that.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The only way to obtain a specific temperature is to get an ETC. A timer would work to get it a bit higher but there is no way to regulate the temp at all like that.
Is this true for a Vinotemp as well? I just picked one up today and it will go all the way up to 66. Im just curious. I dont have it running yet.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I have a 28 bottle vinotemp with a digital thermostat. I have had it a steady 66 degrees and it doesn't run constantly.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I did buy a timer for my unit and the minimum it would run is 15 minutes when it kicked on. After a few day of using the timer, I unplugged it and haven't used it since because it ran hard for 15 minutes and creates a big dip in humidity. I would much rather have a constant temp at 60 degrees with a consistent 65% humidity rather than a swinging temp from 60-65 degrees and a big swing of humidity from 65% - 45% when the air kicked on. I can't remember exactly how low the RH dipped, but it was big once the timer kicked on.

So during the winter I unplugged my wine cooler. During the Summer, I will just keep it plugged in constantly. Plus it's good having it run constantly because the internal fan is constantly running too circulating the air.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have a 28 bottle edge star, with 65% beads, and a oust fan.. and i keep mine umplugged and temp never goes over 68 degress, and humity is a constant 65%.
Alwayslit.. your located in the same area as me, give that a try and see what comes about.. My edgestar is in the my basement so the temp is always between 66-70 year round.. so no need to plug in

just a thought

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I have a 28 bottle edge star, with 65% beads, and a oust fan.. and i keep mine umplugged and temp never goes over 68 degress, and humity is a constant 65%.
Alwayslit.. your located in the same area as me, give that a try and see what comes about.. My edgestar is in the my basement so the temp is always between 66-70 year round.. so no need to plug in

just a thought
That's great you have a consistent humidor for your cigars. Just curious though why you bought a wine cooler if you don't need the a/c part of it? Are there basic cabinet / end table type humidors for the same price as the wine cooler?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
That's great you have a consistent humidor for your cigars. Just curious though why you bought a wine cooler if you don't need the a/c part of it? Are there basic cabinet / end table type humidors for the same price as the wine cooler?
i had no idea that i wouldn't have to plug it up, until i got it home and setup everything.. i wouldnt try just a random cabinet, how would you know that its sealed enough to maintain proper humidity..

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Not for what most paid 4 them. My vino 28 was 150.00. I leave it off, it holds better humidity then the china tiny cabinets you see for 300.00. If I ever need to turn it on I'll just plug it in. (Like July and August in Chicago.)