What's new

Edgestar Help

CaTeacher

BoM May 2012
Rating - 100%
222   0   0
My Dad and I were trying to install an ETC to my Edgestar 28 bottle over the weekend, and I believe we fried the cooling unit. Is there a way to salvage it with a part or two? Is buying just a cooling unit an option?

I saw in 25's thread that his won't cool and don't know if my situation is the same or not.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Bill

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
what were doing with the ETC? Mine just plgs in to the wall, and the fridge plugs into the ETC. Of course a small temp prob was inserted thru a small hole I drilled, but I never touche danything that would Mess up the workings on the Cooling unit.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
The ETC would never mess w/ the unit itself, it is just a more precise way to turn it on and off... If the fans still blow and the light still turns on you might have the same problem I do. First check out some ideas in the last couple pages of the wine cooler 101 thread, if they dont seem to work you may want to replace the peltier unit like I am doing. I will have mine finished by the weekend and pics/instructions will be up by sunday.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bill-

Do you have any other functions to the unit - does the fan work ? Is there an internal light that works ? If so then the Peltier unit is probably bad and you can follow '25s thread for guidance.
If on the other hand you have no power to other functions - then UNPLUG THE UNIT - locate the PCB and search around for something that looks like a fuse. If you have no fuse - then you may have fried the power supply in which case it may make more economic sense to buy another entire unit.

Good Luck-

CaTeacher

BoM May 2012
Rating - 100%
222   0   0
Thanks for the replies...

The light and fan both still work, so I know the power is okay. The ETC I have was on an old Avanti I bought from a guy a while back. They were wired together, as there was no plug on the ETC to insert the power from the cooler to. Not knowing anything about ETC's I tried to wire it based on how I took it apart. Had I known that it was just a plug and play feature, I would have bought a new one for simplicity. So, hopefully, it's just the peltier.

The ETC is a Ranco Goldline (can't remember the model # right now)

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I'm looking to get the pre-wired ETC that twenty-five listed in his thread. I looked at the simple one first, thinking I could wire it up myself, but I'm afraid I'd have the problems you're having now.

Peltiers are simple 2-wire devices to switch out, as long as you get the same wattage as the original.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If everything works with the exception of cooling - I think you can replace the Peltier with high confidence that it will resolve the problem.

Good Luck-