What's new

Electrician help?

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
My Edgestar lost all power. I called them and it's just past the 90 day warranty for labor, but still under parts warranty. They are sending me a new motherboard. I watched a youtube video on how to change it out. Seems simple except I've never soldered anything before. My question is can I just buy a cheap solder kit from Amazon? http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Electronics-ST-12-Soldering-Tool/dp/B0002LLWZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398123853&sr=8-1&keywords=solder+kit Second question. Will the solder that comes with the kit work or do I need special stuff? Any help would be much appreciated.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
That solder should work. Practice on something else first. Remember, clean surfaces, heat the wire not the solder, and go easy on the flux

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
And cannot stress the clean surface bit. As well as the easy on the flux. Also, the heating of the wire, not the solder. You want the heat to draw the solder into the wiring, not just cover it.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
As a very experienced solderer the guys above are correct.

I'll just reemphasize that the solder should draw to the wire like it wants to be there.

And trick of trade, if you burn your finger tips quickly grab your earlobe. Heat will dissipate into lobe and take burn out :)

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
The flux is an acid that etches the surfaces to be soldered allowing the solder to adhere. Without flux you won't get the solder to stick. Flux both surfaces to be soldered lightly, Amd solder away

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
If you're going to buy a kit, and plan on ever doing it again, invest in one of the "Helping Hands" units. One of the biggest frustrations you might find right off the bat is trying to hold the iron, the solder, the wire and the board all exactly where you want them while maintaining contact to evenly heat both items being joined.
As said above, get some scrap wire to practice on, and really practice. A bad solder joint has an immediate potential for failure! Ideally, you should never have to actually touch the solder to the iron. When you touch the solder to your properly heated surfaces, the solder will look like it just got sucked in to all the nooks and crannies. But, you don't want to overheat the surfaces either, you'll end up compromising the insulation making it brittle and it can possibly flake and crack. (Not to mention potential damage to the circuit board!)
It's okay to start by overheating the practice wires just so you can see how the solder is supposed to flow and wick into all the surfaces, but then refine your technique until you can get to the point that no solder wicks in to the insulated part of your wire. You should get to the point where you can do it without causing any discoloration or deformity to the wire insulation (too hot) and no bubbles/balls of solder around your wire (too cold)