What's new

Fellow brothers I need your help

Rating - 82.4%
36   6   0
Hey fellas, so I've had a desk top humi now for awhile and I was looking to upgrade but I'm on a tight budget. Well I was looking around and found a Milano Personal Display Humidor Dark Mahogany with Spanish Cedar Trays & Interior for half the price I've seen other cabinets go for.... That being said, does anyone know how MiLANO's are as far as quality, how well it holds humidity, construction, etc.? Is it a good price for $130 to my door? Thanks for the help in advance guys

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
If you're not looking for an eye pleasing piece but would like a good amount of storage for a budget build, I would look into a coolidor. I just bought a 48qt from Walmart for $20 and then I am using KL which cost me $5 for 4lbs. I placed a bunch of empty boxes my B&M gave me to help get it ready after a week of cleaning and airing out. Now I have a good amount of storage space and I only dropped $24. So that would leave you still with $100 of your budget to get some great sticks!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I second what Yodis said. If appearance isn't important to you a coolidor is the best way to go and it is the cheapest alternative. Then the extra money can be used toward more sticks just a thought.

Sent from my Tapatalk 2 using iPhone. Bahahahaha ass backwards.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I feel like I am always posting after Matt but I do agree. I built a Wineador a few weeks ago and even that wasn't enough to hold everything I was buying hahaha So I took an extra cooler I had and did the coolidor. It is ridiculously easy and cost effective. I used 2 lbs of beads with 3 boveda packs. Did the same thing as matt with the B&M empty boxes but also bought a few of the cedar trays off line (lots of places to get them including feebly). The trays run about 5-8 bucks and you can put your left over single in there. Then just transfer the smokes you will need for the wee/bi-weekly into your smaller humidor. It will save you some coin, room in your "man space" and give you a reason to mess around with your smokes when you transfer them. Just my .02 though

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ill parrot what others have already said here...

If you really want a desktop...cool.. go for it...

but.. that said.. there are a whole lot of other options that I think you get a whole lot more bang for your buck out of... that are also typically better for storage as well...

a coolerador is an excellent option.... you'll get a whole lot more capacity... most likely get a better seal... and will spend a fraction of what you would normally on a decent quality desktop...

a small wineador is an excellent option as well... you can normally find used 12-24 bottle wine coolers in excellent condition in craigslist for less than $50.. throw in $50 in custom trays from forest.. and another $4 in KL from wallyworld.. and you have a temp controlled, tightly sealed, storage unit... that has more capacity than any desktop... for a lower price..

Rating - 82.4%
36   6   0
Hmmm you say I can have $100 left over for new sticks... Well this just turned into a no brainer lol thank you fellas. This is exactly shy I joined botl. I have a couple questions and please excuse me if they are stupid. When you use the boxes from the B&M's did you break them apart or use them as trays? And when you say a "KL" what exactly is that?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
KL = Kitty Litter.... pretty commonly used RH control media...

On boxes.. what I did was use spare boxes I had on hand to store my sticks inside my wineador.. until my trays came in (took about 8 weeks).. no need to break them up.. just use them as they were designed/intended.. and put your sticks inside.. that will protect them from damage (you dont want a couple of hundred sticks rolling around inside your cooler).. will make it a little easier for you to sort through everything and keep your sticks organized.. and will add cedar to your cooler which will help with RH control..

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
You can break down the boxes or you can use them as trays... your choice!
KL- Kitty Litter hahaha SERIOUSLY!!

KL is basically the exact same as the expensive silica beads that you can buy from heartfelt or other bead distributors. Look around and you will see all kinds of topics on KL/beads/bovedas etc.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I kept the boxes whole and left them open, also personally I also gave them a little spray of distilled water. I plan to buy some cheaper spanish cedar trays to replace some of the boxes with. I was pointed to the direct of some $9 ones.

KL stands for Kitty Litter and not just your normal kitty litter can be used, but the Silica Sand ones that are not scented. You would use these just like beads but you can grab it for a lot cheaper.

Got beat on my response this time!

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I use my cooler for long term storage, so i just toss a bowl of distilled water in there, and then a bunch of 69rh bovedas... Coolidor is holding strong at 71 simply because the bovedas can't keep up! Then i only smoke out of my desktop.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 82.4%
36   6   0
Yeah the KL def caught me off guard. I was more or less wanting to know about the company Milano because they have a 130ct cabinet humi for $130 to my door.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Thank you guys and yes seriously.... Never heard of anyone using kitty litter in there humis, but thank you again for the help

I meant SERIOUSLY kitty litter haha I had never heard of it either until I joined here
I have never opted for this option, I have thousands of dollars invested in cigars, a wineador and a desktop. If I can spend that much on cigars and storage, I think I should spend the $100 dollars on the best passive humidification I can get. Being 2.5 Lbs of 65% beads. They never go bad and maintain humidity rock steady. But that's just my two cents.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
Let me know if you would like me to walk you through setting up your humi with Kitty Litter. It needs to be the unscented crystal style though. I have attached a photo below of the stuff that I use ($4 at Walmart) but many others have also used Equisicat which is available at PetSmart.

Basically it's the same material as Heartfelt beads. the only difference is that it allows you to "dial in" the humidity to the level that you want it. Out of the bag it is in the low 60's and with a little adjustment you can get it to whatever humidity you want. I started using it about a year ago and have been VERY happy with it. My cooleridor has been sitting at 65-66% for the past 6+ months and I have not had to spray it with distilled water or make ANY adjustments since before Christmas.

Usually when this topic comes to light here there are a bunch of haters who will jump in and start making comments about cats peeing in your humidor and such. Ignore them. Kitty Litter works well, is a great alternative to breads and is a lot cheaper. Not that there's anything wrong with Heartfelt beads, they're a great product and many people use them. Just because you spend more on beads does not make them better though, just more expensive.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have been using the KL as well. I only have a 100 count Humi and finally have it close to full. I want a bigger humi too but I just can't afford it and so I would rather spend what little money I muster up to buy Cigars so I bought an 8lb container of equisicat from petsmart for $12 and my RH has been very consistent at 65-66 with very little maintenance.
I do like the idea of a coolerdor. It seems easy enough and cheap enough for me to make. I actually think I have an extra cooler already so I just need to get some cedar trays. And more cigars to put in it hahaha