What's new

Finding distilled water in the desert?

ThankfulJoe

Rather Be Flying
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I recently received my Coolidor from home, and have 2x65% XL Heartfelt tubes which do a pretty good job of keeping it right around 65%. I've used only distilled water as I'd like to maximize the life of my beads. My question is where on earth can I find distilled water in a desert? I've scoured the internet trying to find a place that will ship (APO) me Distilled Water as I shouldn't have to go through very much. It stays in our office which remains around 70 degrees, and stays sealed/settled pretty well even though it's opened on a regular basis. Any ideas?

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Aside from distilling your own...have to talked to the guy who procures supplies for your base? I found one place that actually ships, but unsure if they do it to an APO and just for fun I plugged my info in...you have to buy a minimum of 6 jugs and shipping was $32 and some change.

Dan

Crypto Sailor

Loose Lips Sink Ships
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Ask around for battery water! They normally have it at pharmacy's. While I was in Bahrain I found it there and it's sold in a bottle a little bigger than a peroxide bottle. If not let me know maybe I can figure a way to mail you a few smaller bottles.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
You are in the Army, don't you guys use reverse osmosis water purification? RO is the only thing I use in my humidor.

ThankfulJoe

Rather Be Flying
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
All of our water comes in bottles from what I believe to be Kyrgyzstan. I'm not sure, I can't read squiggly lines lol. I did find out that our medics have "Sanitized Water for Irrigation" which is apparently a higher grade version of distilled water. It's also free lol. Problem solved!

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
Sterile water is not what you want. Better than tap, but the reason for distilled water it that it removes other ions that are present (Calcium, Iron, Zinc, etc.) It is these extra ions that would cause a problem for your beads. Sterile water to me, just means it won't support micro-bacterial growth. That is unless it is Sterilized distilled water. Battery water is usually distilled.

forgot about that sterile water would work fine.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
According to what I read jj is right. Sterile water is distilled water. Should work fine.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
It is medical use sterile water it would be like being ran thru reverse osmosis and then steam distilled to ensure it is sterile. When your in a pinch in the sand box it will work.

ThankfulJoe

Rather Be Flying
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Hmm... I'll figure something out. Thanks for all the input guys. I've found a few sources that sell distilled online but the prices are outrageous. Just trying to find some alternatives. I know our Motor Pool probably has battery water also. I'll keep researching, thanks guys!

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
According to what I read jj is right. Sterile water is distilled water. Should work fine.
I stand corrected. Upon further research you are correct.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/sterile-water-for-irrigation.html

Sterile Water for Irrigation Description

Sterile Water for Irrigation USP is a sterile, hypotonic, nonpyrogenic irrigating fluid or pharmaceutic aid (solvent) entirely composed of Sterile Water for Injection USP. It is prepared by distillation and contains no antimicrobial or bacteriostatic agents or added buffers. The pH is 5.7 (5.0–7.0)

With that your are golden :thumbsup: even better that its FREE !!

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
Chief, you can use the water you get from the medics. Works perfectly, doesn't damage anything, and as you mentioned, it's free. I seasoned two humidors with it and used it for humidity for months. Still using the humi's.