What's new

First day using beads!

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Just got my beads in my humi and am amazed at how FAST they work! Tested my WH Cal III (the replacement WH sent me, the original I bought was WAY off) with a Boveda and after approx 44 hours it was at 76% RH :)

I poured all the beads into a paper plate and sprayed them down with distilled water, then poured them into my drawstring bag, but I went a little over board! I ended up saturating them until around 95% of them were clear!

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a quick way to get the moisture out of them, so they're all white again, so I can respray them to get the correct ratio of approx 7:3 clear to white.

I was thinking of trying one of the highly recommended recharge methods I saw on the beads' sticky: saturating a paper towel with distilled water, pouring approx. 70% of the beads onto the towel, letting them get saturated, then adding them back into my drawstring back with the opaque beads. Any advice on a quick method to remove moisture would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Justin

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as a quick follow up: I have had the beads in my humi for about forty minutes now, and my hygro is reading 68% RH. As I said in my previous post, almost ALL the beads are clear. Could this be the reason that the RH is slowly drifting up over 65? Thanks,

Justin

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Yes possibly. I would just blow a hair dryer on the mesh bag for a few minutes. that should dry them out. I just let them sit on the window sil for an hour or so. The ambient RH in socal is roughly 30-45% so that drys em out pretty quick.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Yes possibly. I would just blow a hair dryer on the mesh bag for a few minutes. that should dry them out. I just let them sit on the window sil for an hour or so. The ambient RH in socal is roughly 30-45% so that drys em out pretty quick.
Careful you do not hold the hair dryer too close to the mesh bag. They do melt as I have sadly found out.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
JUSt remember, humidity is great as long as it is somewhere between 62 and 70&#37;. SOunds like you are good. The beads will allow the moisture to go away on its own over time, as well as control the humidity. YOU might not have to do anything in a few days.

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

These beads are awesome! I've had em' in my humi for just under twenty four hours, and the humidity is sitting right now at 67%. It's probably the warmest day we've had here in New England this year so far, I think it's like 65 to 70 out. The lowest it got was 64% and within a few minutes, bumped back up to 65%. Is it normal for the RH to fluctuate a couple percent?

I dried out the beads, poured them into a plate, and sprayed them. I had it so about 70 percent were saturated, however once i put the opaque beads into the bag with the ones that were soaked, the opaque ones all became clear! LOL. Perhaps I am spraying them too vigorously? I sprayed them, and saw that 70 percent weren't clear, so I continued to spray them. Maybe I should do a few sprays and then let them sit for a few minutes before adding more water?

Thanks guys!

Justin