What's new

First Tupperdor With Pic

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Gents

Went to my local Bed Bath and Beyond today picked up a Snapware BPA Free locking lid container. Its 29 cups / 6.9 liters. $10.99
Washed it once very thoroughly with dish soap and then dried every inch of it very well. Not really any plastic smell, so I tossed in a 72% boveda pack from my local B&M and threw in all my cigars with the cellophane on.

Have a HygroSet II Digital hygrometer coming in the mail in a few days to throw in there.

Should be good to go right?

snapware.JPG

Attachments

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
72% might be a lil high for most taste but looks like your golden there brother:)

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Yep your golden, Yeah 72 a bit high, remember with a tupperdor the RH will be right at Rh% indicated but if your grabbing a stick every day or two really shouldn't be a problem. I know some guys toss in some foam so the sticks don't jostle around. you can also toss in some spanish ceader to help with Rh.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
awesome guys! thanks for the input.

yea I was thinking 72 was a touch high, but I will probably be grabbin sticks out of it pretty frequently since its my only storage right now.

Should I go ahead and order a different % boveda or just stick with that?

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0

yea I was thinking 72 was a touch high, but I will probably be grabbin sticks out of it pretty frequently since its my only storage right now.

What's the temperature like where the tupperdor will be stored?? If it gets too warm, you may want to keep the RH in the mid 60s if I'm not mistaken.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have well over 15 tupperadors of every size..a couple that are about almost double what you have. I've learned through trial and error that the best ones are "airtight" so whatever brand you buy ensure it is tight w/no leaks. I have one that tends to leech a little but it still stays around 65-67% because of the media I use...kitty litter. You can use old cedar boxes to put your cigars in and that will help keep your RH balanced...I have one huge tupperador that can hold about 400 cigars that I keep inside old cigar boxes. To keep it at 65% I used an old quart container that had water in it...cut it in half and put KL inside...spritzed it about 10 times and the entire tupperador has stayed at 65% for 5 months now with just a spritz every couple of months to keep it where I like it.

Boveda paks are good for smaller tupperadors but if you really want to get your moneys worth buy the bigger airtight tupperware humis....I swear to you that once set up they are by far the best storage bar none. I put cedar inside one of the large tupperadors...you can buy cedar sheeets off Fleabay for about $25 where it can be used for every humidor you'd ever want to put it in...as I said I put it on the bottom and around the sides and top and it smells amazing and transfers that into the cigars and you'd never know that the cigars that are in there weren't in the best humidor ever made.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Rating - 100%
22   0   0

Just wait till that hygrometer comes in. No since in getting more until you know what the current humidity is at.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You make sure you clean it and air it out well. I had the same one, ruined about 50 smokes.
Yea i threw them in the box and shut it for an hour or so. opened it up to check and there was a smell of plastic along with cigars!! :popeyes:

So Its sitting out in the sun for a couple days now and I will probably wash it again. baking soda in dish inside closed container?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not sure what the temp is, its pretty cool since i have the AC on most of the time and its kept downstairs in the closet, but I need to find out!

Cigary43, thanks for the info. You talking about like the huge plastic containers that people use to store stuff and maybe stack in their garage or whatever?

Something like this?

http://cds.a9t2h4q7.hwcdn.net/main/store/20090519001/items/media/Plumbing/FMTOO001_PL/ProductLarge/BELMN012101106.jpg
I have just one like that and the problem with them is they are a "latch" lock that isn't really airtight. The one I have works but I know that it leaks and have to spritz the kitty litter about once a month to keep it at 66%...not really a bid deal unless you're anal like I am. The other 14 tupperadors are all airtight type of tupperadors...made by RubberMaid that I got from Big Lots...they are the 2.5 gallon size and hold up to 200 cigars easily and I have a cup of KL in those. For these I spritz about once every 2 or 3 months to keep the RH at 66% and keep them in my library where they aren't exposed to direct sunlight. If you don't have a Big Lots where you live then get your tupperadors at Walmart as they are about $11 for the 2.5 gallon size which is still a bargain. At Big Lots they were selling for $4 each so I grabbed a buttload of them since they work just as well as any wood humidor on the market. I bought cedar sheets from a guy on FleaBay for $25 where I was able to line the bottom and sides of every tupperador I have and the smell inside them is AMAZING...and it transfers that smell to the cigars which is what I wanted. I still have quite a bit of the cedar sheets left over.