What's new

Floral Beads

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Anyone here know about or tried floral beads for humidification? I bought a couple of humi-care crystal gel humidifiers and it seemed to me that they were the same thing as the floral beads one can purchase at walmart. I live in the high plains desert of eastern colorado and was having issues with maintaining humidity. I purchased the floral beads and filled a couple old humidifiers which had the foam in them and no longer have a problem at all. RH levels sit at 70 and only have to recharge every 3 months or so. Just wondering if anyone else out there uses them or knows of any reason i shouldn't be.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
same thing as the gel. just use propylene glycol solution to recharge it to guard against mold and try to maintain rh. the only difference is that the gel you get in the humi-care jars and others like it comes treated with pg so you can use distilled water to recharge. Just remember that the gel only releases humidity, it will not absorb it like silica beads such as heartfelt. if you find the rh getting too high or too low, consider upgrading to beads. The crystal kitty litter does quite well but usually maintains around 67 rh.

check out this thread for more info on the beads, its says a lot about the gel as well:

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php/1663-Heartfelt-Beads-Frequently-Asked-Questions

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Will do and thank you much! I actually read that thread already and am thinking about trying heartfelt beads in the 500 ct humidor i'm about to purchase to see how well they work. Might use both types of beads just not sure yet.