What's new

Foam and moisture?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
While reading a recent thread regarding foam and cigar storage, I was reminded of collectable knife storage/transport.

Clearly we are talking two different beasts here, but hear me out.

Foam is deemed unsuitable for high end knives because of its ability/tendency to attract and hold moisture, which is why this man and his non-foam cases (www.billscustomcases.com/) have made such a big hit on the industry of collectable knives.

Am I being overly anal/dramatic to carry this logic to high end cigar storage?
I think the benefits of protecting our beauties in transport may out way the "risks", but for long term storage I have my reservations.

Also, there is no other form of humidification control with knife transport, except silica dessication packs, and the fact that we will have a humidity control device with our cigar set ups may help squash any potential problems.

Knife storage requires elimination of humidity, while we want a certain percent (65% ish), I just "fear" that foam my trap moisture unevenly and risk poor long term storage.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of my veteran brothers.

Yes, Chief you have come across as over thinking the issue:yes:

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I cant fathom a reason for using foam in a long term storage situation.. if we're talking about putting cigars into the bottom of a cabinet/wineador/cooler/whatever.. with the intent of not touching them for several months.. if not several years.. the protection that the cedar box and/or tray that they are going to be stored in should be protection enough I would think..

I do understand the use of foam for short term storage.. whether we are talking about transporting sticks to a HERF or on vacation, etc.. or using a piece of tupperware for overflow, etc.. in those types of situations.. where you are likely planning on smoking the contents over the period of a couple of days to a couple of weeks.. or moving the contents to a more long term solution as soon as space is available.. I dont think open cell foam will have any negative impact at all..

I have used tupperware and traveldors to store sticks for periods of up to a couple of months at a time when I have been traveling, or just need the extra space around the house (while in the process of upgrading my longer term storage).. and have never run into a problem.. typically I thow in a single 65% boveda.. and Im good.. I dont experience bad burns lines, or any other anomaly normally associated with over humidification or improper humidification with any more or less frequency than I do when I grab something out of one of my more long term storage units (wineador/desktop/cabinet)..

just my .02....

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
+1 to Dave
I think your over thinking it brother but I personally I wouldn't store my sticks in a travel container for long term....like a few months tops if I threw a boveda 65 and opened every week or so just my humble opinion tho.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thanks for the responses.

I figured I was making the issue harder than it is. I better cancel my bulk order of the special Bill's material--bad joke:squinteye

I guess the fact that the green floral foam has such a bad rep. fueled my paranoia's fire.

Now I just need a climate controlled traveldor so I can keep some sticks in my truck, for those spur of the moment stogies--:dunno:

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I can only speak from experience, but I have a 5ct herf-a-dor that I keep in my car. Most cigars sit in there for between a week to a month, and never with any ill effects.

The fact that foam can attract moisture isn't a net negative here, because herf-a-dors are air-tight. The only moisture for the foam to attract is what is already there in the enclosed herf-a-dor, and all that's in there is what's already in the cigars, unless you soaked one of the foam pieces (and if you did that, well, you deserve what you get!).

So really, the only risk I can see is your cigars drying out by the foam soaking up moisture from them while the herf-a-dor is closed. Now, I'm no scientist, but I'd hypothesize that the kind of soft, airy foam used in herf-a-dors doesn't attract and retain moisture as well as a cigar, so that's unlikely to be a problem as well. My guess is that the kind of foam used in the herf-a-dor equalizes to whatever the ambient rh is almost as quickly as the air inside does.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I can only speak from experience, but I have a 5ct herf-a-dor that I keep in my car. Most cigars sit in there for between a week to a month, and never with any ill effects.

The fact that foam can attract moisture isn't a net negative here, because herf-a-dors are air-tight. The only moisture for the foam to attract is what is already there in the enclosed herf-a-dor, and all that's in there is what's already in the cigars, unless you soaked one of the foam pieces (and if you did that, well, you deserve what you get!).

So really, the only risk I can see is your cigars drying out by the foam soaking up moisture from them while the herf-a-dor is closed. Now, I'm no scientist, but I'd hypothesize that the kind of soft, airy foam used in herf-a-dors doesn't attract and retain moisture as well as a cigar, so that's unlikely to be a problem as well. My guess is that the kind of foam used in the herf-a-dor equalizes to whatever the ambient rh is almost as quickly as the air inside does.
Wait so I don't soak the foam liners???? This explains my overly wet sticks lol. But really good points and I personally just take out the green florist foam piece. If I plan on having something in there long term (well like a few weeks to a month) I'll throw in a boveda just a small one since I have a small cigar traveldor...

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
If I plan on having something in there long term (well like a few weeks to a month) I'll throw in a boveda just a small one since I have a small cigar traveldor...
Yeah, I use a little plastic tube with a screen top someone sent me, and pilled it with beads. Works like a charm.