What's new

Frustration

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I still cant get my RH right in my 12 bottle vino. I placed a half pound of 65% beads in each section, 2 boxes in each section. Members have told me that they keep their beads dry during certain months to keep RH steady. Thats what it seems with mine...bone dry beads = 65%.

Now when condensation builds up, the beads are supposed to absorb it. It seems like they do, but then humidity reaches 70-73%. I bought these beads because their supposed to be a "set and forget" thing. But it seems im doing more work to try to keep them dry. I have to take them out and dry them off once a week.

sorry for the rant, but im fed up with this thing. Oh and I also tried with the drain hole pluged and not plug. I dont know what else to do.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
as your cooller switches on and off to regulate the temp, you wil see "peaks and valley's in the RH. Not to worry a couple of hours at a slight extreme won't hurt them. I use and external temp controller to keep mine a bit warmer than the stock instruments allow. I have a 28 bottle, and use 2 lbs of beads. I understand wanting to have it done right, but there is no exact science. You may have dry boxes and wet smokes, or vice versa, Let the beads do there job, they are spot on. Also opening the door in a smaller cooler will swap all you humi air with out side air. If that air were 75% rh, then that would be an obvious cause of the spikes in RH. maybe get some stick on velcro and affix your hygro to the front window so you can read it with out opening the door.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
In general beads are great, some qustions, one is how full is your veno and how long has it been settling. These things can take time and things like wood shelves, drawers, and the cigars themselves can be adding or taking moisture away in additon to the beads. Next, how sure are you about your RH reading? if some beads are clean but not all, I'd guess you are very close if you have quality beads. Last, do your beads getting enough air contact? if you put them in a jar with a small opening they will make changes slowly compaired to a large flat pan.

Good Luck.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
IMHO, I'm not a fan of the beads. I had some high RH on the bottom of my cabinet, put two pounds of dry beads down there and they never got clear, not even close, the RH never changed either. I'm beginning more and more to wonder if they work. But that's just me.

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
IMHO, I'm not a fan of the beads. I had some high RH on the bottom of my cabinet, put two pounds of dry beads down there and they never got clear, not even close, the RH never changed either. I'm beginning more and more to wonder if they work. But that's just me.
I was a skeptic on beads as well. But, I had a bag (3/4 lb) of beads that were 90% wet in my coolerdo when I was initially getting it started. I filled another bag with about an inch of beads (white, not saturated). Within 2 days 1/2 of the unsaturated beads were clear and saturated which proved they were transfering the moisture.

I had my humi's at 75% with the diamond crown humidifiors and could not get them any lower. now I am at 68% with the beads.

As for the OP, do you notice much condensation in your vino? Do you have a fan to circulate the air? Maybe a bad batch of beads??

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Be patient - try to eliminate the possibilities one at a time. How are your cigars smoking? How do they feel? Do they burn even? Good draw? Some times, you can eliminate alot of guess work by just using your gut and sense.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a skeptic on beads as well. But, I had a bag (3/4 lb) of beads that were 90% wet in my coolerdo when I was initially getting it started. I filled another bag with about an inch of beads (white, not saturated). Within 2 days 1/2 of the unsaturated beads were clear and saturated which proved they were transfering the moisture.

I had my humi's at 75% with the diamond crown humidifiors and could not get them any lower. now I am at 68% with the beads.

As for the OP, do you notice much condensation in your vino? Do you have a fan to circulate the air? Maybe a bad batch of beads??
this is what im thinking. possible bad batch. I dont know though for sure, this is my first humi and my first time working with beads.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
This is one of the reasons I don't like using wine units for storing cigars. Too much fluctuation in humidity most of the time for my liking. I know some guys have success with them, but for me personally, it's not the way to go unless you live in an extremely hot area. Long Island doesn't fit that bill imho.

My first suggestion would be to try different beads. After that, I can't really help as I don't use a vino unit. Of course, you could alway put wine in it and get a humi or set up a coolerdor.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
...it's not the way to go unless you live in an extremely hot area. Long Island doesn't fit that bill imho.

My first suggestion would be to try different beads. After that, I can't really help as I don't use a vino unit. Of course, you could alway put wine in it and get a humi or set up a coolerdor.
Agreed, I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to set one up. I have two central air units for a total of 7 tons of cooling, the house is always at a constant 74. Now it's filled with assorted bottles of wine and my wife is very happy with it. Apologies for the thread jack.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I think I might just put wine in it and pick up a humi. Although I dont have central air, it can get hot here. Anyone any problems around the same area? What if I just freeze ALL my sticks when they come in before they go in the humi? Or is just storing the humi in a basement good enough?

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Agreed. I think I might just put wine in it and pick up a humi. Although I dont have central air, it can get hot here. Anyone any problems around the same area? What if I just freeze ALL my sticks when they come in before they go in the humi? Or is just storing the humi in a basement good enough?
Aack! No freezing!! Basement should be fine, keep a close eye on the RH.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
You would only freeze your cigars if you think there is a problem with beetles. If you do freeze them, you need to double wrap them in thick guage mil plastic. Then you need to put them in the fridge for a couple days, then in the freezer for a couple days, but this is only effective if the temp gets really low, like in a deep freeze. Then you need to slowly bring them back up to temp. This will take care of any suspected beetle problems, but I would NOT store them this way!!!!!

The temp around here on LI in a basement will not get ridiculously high that it would cause problems with your humi. I do not have central air in my basement and it's usually around 70 degrees unless the lights are on and the kids are in the basement with their friends, but then we leave the door open and cool air goes down there anyway. You will be ok if there is little activity in your basment. As long as the temp isn't getting really high, it's fine.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
My vinotemp has a pound and a half of beads and here in Phoenix I am adding about a tablespoon of water about once every 7-10 days.

I also have mine plugged in the bottom so it's sealed, and have 2 oust fans to circulate the air.

Keep in mind mine is the 12 bottle that is one section, and Phoenix is not New York, but I have been super excited with mine and it has been very low maintenance.

Good luck!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Mike, provide a link to your post, the one with pic's on how you setup your vinotemp, that may provide him with a solution to his problem....just a thought.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.
Well I pulled the beads out of the vino and put them into a cooler placed in my basement. After about 4 days the RH is still up around 70%. My guess is that the beads that were shipped to me have to be 70% RH beads. Also I gave some to a buddy of mine for his desktop humidor and it is holding steady at 70% for a little over a week. Maybe it is possible that heartfelt sent me 70% beads that were marked 65%???