What's new

Full Size Refrigerator

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
Ive seen someone turn an older full size freezer that had broken down into a humidor, but it was kept in a basement so temp control wasnt an issue. If you were thinking to use a refrigerator as a temp controlled solution then you should look at the thread about Thermoelectric vs Compressor cooling

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats got a cool shape to it too. Maybe you could do a custom Havana paint job or something like that for the outside. Looks like its going to be a cool project!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
That looks awesome!!! Good luck with the project.

Opening that big door will certainly almost completely swap the air inside. I think an Acumonitor should be on your list on upgrades.

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
Ok so I got a fridge. Not the one pictured, it's a top and bottom, fridge & freezer. I scrubbed it out real good and pulled off the door panels from the inside. It sat all day with the doors open to air out. Now I put baking soda inside with the doors closed to try an get some more of the plastic smell out.

I plan on getting some Spanish Cedar to put where the panels were. For the time being I am going to use the wire racks for shelves until I can get some custom ones made.

My question is what do you think the best humidification unit would be for the bottom, since its the biggest?

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Ok so I got a fridge. Not the one pictured, it's a top and bottom, fridge & freezer. I scrubbed it out real good and pulled off the door panels from the inside. It sat all day with the doors open to air out. Now I put baking soda inside with the doors closed to try an get some more of the plastic smell out.

I plan on getting some Spanish Cedar to put where the panels were. For the time being I am going to use the wire racks for shelves until I can get some custom ones made.

My question is what do you think the best humidification unit would be for the bottom, since its the biggest?
Cigar Oasis XL II, I used one in my large wine cooler (65 bottles?) has a remote that gives you a large digital display of the current humidity and a continues running fan. It was too much for my wine cooler and I had to pack it up and shelf it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So what I am hearing is this: You gut the door panels, add cedar, add beads, Oasis XL and custom shelves. That's it? Is it that simple? If it is, I'm in the market, as I am starting to buy boxes (and boxes) of sticks. I would like to keep my humidor for the current week smokes and something much larger for aging.

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
It is even easier, he's going a couple steps above and beyond. You don't need to gut the panels or add cedar, you could just leave it the way it is and as long as you are storing in boxes, you are good to go.