What's new

Guerilla tactics to combat this SoCal heat wave

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
So I live in San Diego where the only thing I usually have to worry about when it comes to my 100ct desktop humi is making sure that the RH doesn't get too low (I let it float between 65 and 70% while the temp cruises at 70-75F). I flipped the lid open today and noticed that the temp was reading 84F and the thermometer in the house is showing 93 (this rarely ever happens). Is it cool if I just toss my desktop in the fridge for a bit to cool it off, or is that a pretty rookie/lame move? Are there any other guerilla tactics that I could employ to produce better results? I don't have any AC in this old apartment, if I did, I would just kick that bad-boy on and be worry-free...

Any advice would be appreciated.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Stick it under your bed. Should be cooler there than anywhere else.

You can go to Radio Shack and get one of those cool heat guns that will let you 'shoot' the temperature for relatively cheap. Find your coolest spot in the apartment and leave it there.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
Ok don't put them in the fridge, it will suck the humidity right out. How often does this happen where the temp gets this high?

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Ok don't put them in the fridge, it will suck the humidity right out. How often does this happen where the temp gets this high?
It's San Diego... we get a bad heat flash maybe once or twice a year and my humi has NEVER gone over 86F. And when I say "bad heat flash" it means that we see temps above 90F, which is nothing in the grand schema. This is why I usually don't have to worry about temp control/wine fridges/etc...

Right now, the humidor is a dark corner in the northern-most room (the room which sees the least amount of sun/heat over the course of the day). I ruled out the under the bed option, because my 18mo-old son loves to go "exploring" and that room is warmer since it gets sun from 6am until noon. Really, I am just worried about the cigars sitting in ~83F for the next couple of days... which is prime beetle temp.

Can I toss in one of those "blue ice" packs?

Revelation Warrior

Revelation Warrior
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue ice pack is ok but doesn't last long and tends to raise the humidity. I just went through the same thing last month. I placed the humi in the coolest section of my home and didn't concern myself with the temperature. The humidity hovered around seventy but never went higher. Some BOTL on another site told me temperature isn't as bad as humidity. Temperature hatches beetles (75 and up). Most cigar manufacturers are freezing their stock before selling them, killing the beetle larva. If your humidity isn't high then you shouldn't have any concerns. If you are concerned about beetles try freezing your stock. Hope this helps, I was flipping out, I have a 400 cigar humidor that was full. Temperatures rose to 89 degrees, humidity stayed at 70% and I had no problems. Be Blessed...:wink:

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Can I toss in one of those "blue ice" packs?
I've done it before, but you have to watch out for condensation. It'll ruin everything inside.

Go ahead and toss it in the fridge. As long as you have some sort of passive humidification it won't hurt, just check it every now & then

onibakushinka

Still Learning
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I too am in a situation which calls for cooling and am currently using the reusable HDR which I have found to last longer than the blue ice blocks, http://www.techniice.com/english/index.htm these for inside a separate tupperware container wrapped in a towel in a small cooler. I have just started using this method so it is a very, your miles may very, due to the fact that I am new to all this and am using what I can and do not know any long term effects. I found them cheapest on the Bay for a pack of 4 for 17 with free shipping if you are curious. Sorry if it was a rant or did not make sense, just info I am passing along since researching this recently Hope I was able to help alittle

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I'd try to find the coolest place in the house before considering sticking it in the fridge. I had been keeping my humi in the closet, but when it started warming up past 90 outside the closet was too warm. I ended up putting it in the utility closet where the hot water heater and central air unit is. Seems counter intuitive since there's a lot going on in there, but it turned out to be the coolest place in the house. Been holding steady at around 70%. Once it starts cooling down I'll probably move it back to the closet.

Dan

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
If it is only for a few days it should be no problem. I would just sit back and wait for it to cool off. I have had cigars shipped from across the county (world even) and I am sure they get hot. As long as it is not for long amounts of time you are good.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I've done it before, but you have to watch out for condensation. It'll ruin everything inside.

Go ahead and toss it in the fridge. As long as you have some sort of passive humidification it won't hurt, just check it every now & then

Condensation... that is what I was affraid of...

So I guess my plan is just to toss it in the fridge during the day with a little extra moisture and a watchful eye, and to then pull it out when the air temp drops a little before I head to off to work (bartender)

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Condensation... that is what I was affraid of...

So I guess my plan is just to toss it in the fridge during the day with a little extra moisture and a watchful eye, and to then pull it out when the air temp drops a little before I head to off to work (bartender)
Blue Ice pack wrapped in a towel. Semi dry beads. No problem.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I've got a similar problem in NY. I'm not sure about the fridge route, though. Seems like a recipe for sharp temp/humidity swings, and the problems that come with that.

-Charles

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I had that problem a few times, I just opened the lid on my humi until the temp went down. Or I moved it to the basement worked like a charm.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I had that problem a few times, I just opened the lid on my humi until the temp went down. Or I moved it to the basement worked like a charm.
Mine's topping 80 in the basement!

The right solution is climate controlled storage. The wife and I are hoping to get through this summer without it so we can save that fight for next year. :)

-Charles