What's new

Habitual Humidor Opening?

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
OK, I admit that I'm a noob (only been smoking cigars for about 4 months), and I'm a little OCD as well, but now that I've got my first 50 ct. humidor filled up with what I consider some pretty darn good sticks, I find myself opening it up & just happily looking over my little treasures multiple times a day! :)

I know it's probably not good for the temperature/humidity levels - but I'll be damned if I don't just do it anyway! Did anyone else have this problem when they first started? How did you stop doing it? Maybe I need to start taking pictures of each stick I buy and/or an excel spreadsheet to keep track of what I've got in there...

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Haha I just got my first humidor, a 150 count, and am filling it up and I also open it up just to smell and admire. So basically....I wont be any help to getting you to stop, cause I am still very guilty.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
once you get a couple, you can look at them on alternating days. or glass. by christmas i should have a soda cooler converted into a vinodor: like a bay window for my habit!

seriously, if the wood is seasoned well, and the smokes are taking up most of the volume, it should not destabilize TOO much.

and, once again, welcome to the slippery slope! o)

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
oh yeah i used to open the humi every day checking the rh and temp. Checking for cracks in the wrappers. life of a noob, only way to stop is to trust your setup and i know many guys here use spreadsheets to keep track of the stash.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Yep. I absolutely love the smell of my humidors. I'll open them just to take a whiff. I've gotten better about it, mostly cause they're in a closet...out of site out of mind don't ya know.

Dan

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
and, once again, welcome to the slippery slope! o)
Don't listem to him...I haven't fell on that slippery slope and I've been smoking for over a year. I just have 2 humidors (50ct and 100) and only have 140 sticks....:wink: (sarcasm)

I haven't fall cuz i dont have more money hahah but welcome to the slippery slope Java haha

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I couldn't help but laugh when I read the first post. I used to do that ALL THE TIME! Don't worry, the satisfaction you get from staring at your new children will more than compensate for any slight humidity issues. Also, if you use beads in your humi, you can help it recover from humidity loss more quickly by using more beads than your humi calls for.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I ended up making a detailed inventory of my humis in excel. Now I can browse from my computer.

Doesn't smell as good, but the humidity stays a lot more stable.

-Charles

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I ended up making a detailed inventory of my humis in excel. Now I can browse from my computer.

Doesn't smell as good, but the humidity stays a lot more stable.

-Charles
It's quite reassuring to know I'm not the only one to do this :stretchgr

Cheers :ccool:

Last edited: