What's new

Having problems ...

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
So I normally keep all my smokes at 65% rH with Heartfelt beads, and have had no problems along those lines. I was recently gifted a nice looking 100-count humidor that was previously seasoned and used, but I can't for the life of me get that sucker over 61% rH using some 65% beads (twice what should be needed) and even a few water pillows (68%).

I'm guessing the seal isn't great or something, and I'm not too worried about it. I decided to make this humi my "gonna smoke it soon" box, figuring a little bit lower rH would be fine or even better for that. That was 2 weeks ago.

The problem is, I've now had 2 sticks blow up on my in the last week (a Fuente King B and a CAO MX2). So I'm worried that this rH change might be messing with those sticks--the wrapper is drying out but not the filler (yet), and so things are heating up and the wrapper is blowing ... something like that.

So what I'm wondering is this: do you guys thing that 4% rH difference could be the problem here, or did i just have an unlucky week? I like the idea of a slightly dryer humi for the "soon to be smoked" sticks, but I could always scratch that and just put sticks in there that just need to be a little dryer (lanceros, sticks that tend to be too wet, etc.).

Thoughts?

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
What do your beads look like after a couple days? 50/50 or all white? If they are staying 50/50 I would say you have a messed up hygro....

As for the smokes, maybe you are unlucky this week lol.... I have had smokes unravel when too dry but never blow up..

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
It may be because your sticks are sucking up the excess moisture quicker than the cedar in the box? So your sticks have the moisture of a 68% environment even though the leaky humidor itself is reading lower...?

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I'm going to say bad hygro im shure your sticks threw a fit a 61% and decided to SPLIT before things got real bad. I kid, I kid.

e-man67

Benny Hill's Understudy
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I wouldn't think a flux of only a few %'s would cause your cigar to explode...I think it is just a few bad sticks. :dunno:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I'm going to say bad hygro im shure your sticks threw a fit a 61% and decided to SPLIT before things got real bad. I kid, I kid.
Bingo.....Hygrometer may be off. SOunds like the cigars are absorbing a lot of moisture.

carocaniac

i hope this lighter works
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What do your beads look like after a couple days? 50/50 or all white? If they are staying 50/50 I would say you have a messed up hygro....

As for the smokes, maybe you are unlucky this week lol.... I have had smokes unravel when too dry but never blow up..
I agree, are you using a digital hygro or an old fashioned analog?