What's new

Heartfelt beads and salt air concerns

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The Heartfelt beads are charged with a saline solution to regulate the humidity. Is there any chance of salt getting into the air when the beads release moisture? I have a Western Digital Caliber III hygrometer. The manufacturer said if I wanted to test the hygrometer to see if it is within tolerance, the only method they approve is the Boveda calibration kit. They said the regular salt test of putting salt into a shallow container and dampening it would add salt to the humidified air just like salt air near the ocean possibly damaging the sensor causing false readings. If this happens with the beads, not only will it damage the sensor in the digital hygrometer but will also contaminate everything inside the humidor. Does anyone have any info on this?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I do not think that is going to be an issue with the beads. The "salt test" is a pile of salt with water on it. The beads are designed and used for many other purpsoes, such as keeping historical artifacts and documents preserved for years in museums. II would assume that your question was asked before they decided to store a priceless document using beads to control the humidity. The boveda pack also contains a saline based humidity agent, so i would not think any thing could go wrong if you were using the beads or bovedas.. The beads take out the guess work. Either way I would not use the salt test, if a boveda is available.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
the salt test has been used for many years to calibrate hygrometers with no damage done to the hygrometer.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Valid point about the museums. Boveda uses a reverse osmosis membrane packet which only allows pure water vapor to pass through. Maybe the beads have the same characteristics only releasing pure water vapor. Just a guess!

Thanks

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Heartfelt beads are supposed to be used with distilled water only! Heartfelt told me that there is a salt component in the beads that regulates the RH. I tried calling them but no one answered so I figured I'd post the question and see what feedback I get here. I do believe dpricenator is correct about the museums and the beads most likely release pure water vapor only.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
No shit! So the beads are charged to set their RH with saline? Hmmm, you learn something everyday! Thanks for the clarification Rob.
I do not think the finished dry beads are charged with a saline solution. I can't remember who told me saline but as I understand it, in the manufacturing process of the beads, a salt component is added to the beads and locked in, regulating the RH. Whether it is in the form of saline or another way I’m not sure. Sorry if I confused the issue a little but as far as I know, once the beads are manufactured, distilled water only is added.

Rick