What's new

Help! Dunhill Humidor Needs Repair

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all -

I have a beautiful Dunhill humidor with a problem. I noticed recently that the lid doesn't sit quite properly. If you put a dollar bill draped on the sides and close the lid, no problem. However, if you drape it over the front edge and close the lid, you can slide it out without much resistance. Upon closer inspection, I can see and feel a slight gap on the sides - the edges don't line up perfectly and the seal isn't intact. Needless to say, I'm having problems with my cigars. In talking to my local guy, he mentioned that the lid was probably opened a little roughly at some point and the hinges may have been bent slightly - we can't see any warping in the wood. He was at a loss for what to do next. This was an engagement gift so I'd like to fix it (and take it to the office) - then another one for the house! It was purchased in 1998.

The Dunhill store where the humidor was purchased is gone (San Francisco) and Dunhill doesn't really repair these.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for the Bay Area? I was going to try to find an expert craftsman who could take it apart, measure and reseat the lid, but that's proving to be more difficult than I expected. I called a musicbox maker but he didn't even know what a humidor was!

Thanks.

Tony

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Welcome to the brotherhood. Stop by the introduction threads & tell us about yourself.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
A picture will help, please post a picture of the inside of the lid, as well as one of it closed showing the gaps.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
HMMMMMMM Maybe a super thin piece ot weather stripping.?.?.?

There are also several master wood crafters on this board.

Humidormiester, Wade, Arlin...where are you guys?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
more than likely it will be a little expensive to repair. sometimes a little bit of masking tape can work wonders.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What you are probably encountering is the lid isn't flat. It can look flat but it is usually corner to corner. When I build a humidor I mortise in magnets that pull it closed. It gives you the same feel as a tight wood fit w/o the problems from wood movement. They make these smaller than the ones I used if you don't have the surface area. The way to do this is to buy a dowel pin alignment kit to get them aligned. Here's some pics. Let me know if I can help.