What's new

homemade humi

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i was tired of looking for the perfect size object for a cheap humidor, but then while i was walking through a farm and fleet store it hit me, a firesafe. they had one on sale, about 12" wide, 8 inches tall, 6 inches deep for $20. so i figured why not. i went home opened it, and noticed there was no gasket......so i dug up some permatex gasket maker i had laying around and made a nice one around the perimeter of the box, let dry for 4 hours them tested. i closed it, locked it and held it underwater in my pool for about 5 minutes then opened and it was bone dry....

so i went to my local b&m, picked up some beads, and now i have a cheap makeshift humi till i can get a real one. and it holds my entire stash, 46 cigars and 2 (3 oz) bags of pipe tobacco

and i guess if my house ever burns down that at least my cigars will be safe

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I use that permatex on my motorcycle when I remove and replace my head gasket. Doesn't that stuff smell too strong to be used near cigars?

Regards,
Randy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nah it doesnt smell bad at all, once dried its just a nice bead, its permatex black rtv btw, not the stuff for headgaskets. ill throw some pics up tomorow

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I hope your pipe tobacco are sealed pretty tight. I'm sure you already know but it's not a good idea to store them in a humi with cigars.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
cool!! what are you using for humidity? i too wondered about the smell...
He mentioned beads.

Not a bad way to go, but if you can pick up some Boveda packs probably even better. They are just about the perfect solution for airtight containers.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
+ 1 for pics

Have you considered throwing in some old cedar cigar boxes? I know that's common to do with coolidors so I'm sure the concept would apply here as well

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought humidors weren't supposed to be perfectly airtight... maybe cut a slash or two in your Permatex?
there is a very small leak in the rear because of the hinge system due to the opening and closing of the lid, but its just a small leak, so i guess that will work. and i just ordered a bodeva 69% on amazon for like $5 free ship so that'll be in when it gets here

pics

RMP

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pipe tobacco looks like some kind of aromatic/black cavendish; nothing I would store in with my cigars. Just put the pipe tobacco in Ball/Kerr canning jars.
Otherwise, great idea, and not too expensive storage for a small collection.
CHEERS!!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like the Herf A Dor Caddys which work like a charm and can be picked up on auctions for about $4- $15...I won 2 of the 15 counts caddys for $10 each and I should have waited for the 40 count Herf A Dor..oh well.

cigarhombre

Broadleaf addict
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
that's pretty sweet!

very innovative! you just helped me with an issue as well!

I have a firesafe that is identical; but due to problems w/ the locking; it's just been collecting dust for a while and was planning on pitching it....might just become a desktop now!