What's new

How humid is too humid?

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
:help: Hello Ron I'm new to BOTL and I have a few questions about my Humidor. I live on the Central Coast of California and we've had a lot of rain the past few weeks and the humidity has been upwards of 90 percent. I check my humi weekly and I discovered that it reached 80 on the gauge. Since I have taken the moisture element out of the Humi but have still had trouble keeping it at 70. Will this be a big problem for my smokes? If it is what can I do to try to keep my smokes in good condition? The Humidor is a small 20-25 cigar box. Thanks a million!

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Are you using an actual humidor? Or just a cigar box? Because a cigar box will not work, especially when you get extreme humidity conditions like those. You need something with a good seal. Beads or Boveda packs will do what you need also, because they will both release, and absorb humidity into/from the air in order to maintain the proper desired RH%.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
What are you using to regulate your humidity? If you're not using beads, I'd recommend it. They'll not only release humidity, but absorb excess. I've had problems keeping mine down in the summer, but the beads have helped. 80% is definitely pretty high and the cigars will probably not smoke as well. 70% is the usual number tossed about, but a lot of guys like it lower. I personally try for 65-68%.

Dan

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Yes it's a humidor from Don Salvatore. I am using the gel sticks for humidity. This has never happened. I will look into those beads. Would Famous carry something like that?

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I am using the gel sticks. I've never had this problem but then again it I didn't have a humidor last winter. Thanks and I will look into those beads. They sound perfect. Can I use them in combo with the gel or will they do on their own?

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
`Go to the Sponsor section from the main page and click on Heartfelt Industries. They sell the beads. I'd recommend a device called "The Puck" (small). You can use them with gel, but there's no need to. High humidity can lead to burn issues as well as mold or mildew, neither of which is good for your smokes. White mold can just be wiped off. If it's a blue-green color, you'll find yourself sanding the humidor and buying new cigars. Get beads ASAP!

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
didn't want to spoil the suprise but got you some beads for xmas, Well i guess since xmas passed won't really be ruining the suprise. Also got you a digital hygrometer cause that analog aint worth a damn, could be your worring for no reason

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Lol! Thanks man I was about to order. I'm still waiting on those Cigars to come in. Let's get together and have lunch or something. The small cigarillos seem a little more plump. I have it down to around 75 now that the gel is out of the humi.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I keep my cabinet at 68% RH, a little higher than most. I think, especially for NC, 70% is the upper limit. Since my cab is in a dry room with fireplace, I'll set it at 70% for the next few months, then drop to 68% in April or May.

carocaniac

i hope this lighter works
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I try to keep RH% @ 64-67 if I can. I live on the Gulf Coast were humidity is a part of life. In the summer time, humidity outside can reach up to 100%. It can be challenging but the effort pays off with a good smoke.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Another vote for beads. Ensure your hygro is calibrated ( salt test ) and that your humidor has been seasoned correctly ( not drenched....passive seasoning is always your friend ) and if you need to get your RH down quick just use this old trick..silica gel packs that are available when you buy shoes, medications..etc. Drop the pack in your humidor and your RH will drop pretty quickly...just keep an eye on it. Ventilating will help as well.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Thanks for all the good advice everyone. I am now using the beads and digital hydrometer generously provided by Goingpostal. As it turns out I had the common issue of a faulty traditional hydrometer. The beads are doing a great job countering the extra humid conditions winter on the central coast of Cali. My sticks are smoking great!