What's new

how might I store boxes unopened

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a few more boxes coming, and I've always taken the cigars out and stored them in loose in my humidor

I'd like to keep these boxes opened for a time, but with just a desktop humidor, I'm not sure how I'd do so. Originally, I wanted to buy some of the humidor bags, but it seems they don't sell them anymore. How would a regular ziplock with a boveda pack compare?

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Not sure exactly what you want to do? you want to store the box opened? for how long? Sounds like it's time for a coolidor. best bang for the buck when you've only got a couple boxes to store. check out igloodor.com for some ideas.

To answer your question, for quick temporary a ziplock freezer bag should work, they are thicker and I'd still double bag as added insulation.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
As has been said... a cooler-dor is your best option here. Certainly the most cost effective, large storage piece to keep full boxes in. Just get a pound or two of beads from Heartfelt, and a 100 qt. cooler, and you're good for quite a few boxes. I think I have around 15 or 20 boxes in my 100qt, and it is only about 2/3 full.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Or you could even scour the web for a deal on a wine cooler. I've seen them for $10 on craigslist, non functioning. They look hundreds of times better than a cooler, or a plastic storage tote.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
An advantage of a cooler over tupperware is it helps regulate temperature better. If you live in a house where it can get hot in the Summer, you are better off with a cooler.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
It is that time. Pick up a cooler. Grab some beads. Put those boxes in and admire them. Tney will look sad, lonely. More boxes. Now it looks better plus the more boxes the easier to stabilize right? A few more boxes and my that cooler looks small.
Welcome to the slippery slope. Boxes are fun.

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Definitely cooler time. I picked up a very nice 70 quart for $40 with wheels at Lowe's. It didn't even have a plastic smell to it; maybe because it has a bacteria-resistant lining, I don't know. Then, I picked up a bag of unscented kitty litter for $8. I also had a nice, thick chunk of Spanish Cedar left over from a humidor build and put it in the bottom; it's about 14" x 8" x 1". Filled an old panty with the litter and soaked it in some distilled water, and placed it in a small plastic container. Less than $50 and the cooler is amazing. Seems like I rarely ever have to add more distilled water and it holds 65-68% like a champ. Best investment I ever made.

Welcome to the slippery slope. Boxes are fun.
Haha, oh man, so true. Hard not to buy 2-3 boxes of an LE now that space is of no concern.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Definitely cooler time. I picked up a very nice 70 quart for $40 with wheels at Lowe's. It didn't even have a plastic smell to it; maybe because it has a bacteria-resistant lining, I don't know. Then, I picked up a bag of unscented kitty litter for $8. I also had a nice, thick chunk of Spanish Cedar left over from a humidor build and put it in the bottom; it's about 14" x 8" x 1". Filled an old panty with the litter and soaked it in some distilled water, and placed it in a small plastic container. Less than $50 and the cooler is amazing. Seems like I rarely ever have to add more distilled water and it holds 65-68% like a champ. Best investment I ever made.

Haha, oh man, so true. Hard not to buy 2-3 boxes of an LE now that space is of no concern.
I had three 180 quart coolers when my son built the cabinet to end all cabs. Holds approximately 300 boxes if stacked just right. Never fill that sucker right? Uh, oh.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I had three 180 quart coolers when my son built the cabinet to end all cabs. Holds approximately 300 boxes if stacked just right. Never fill that sucker right? Uh, oh.
Chuck,

Do you have a pic of the cabinet? Sounds awesome

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
uh oh -when I initially posed the question, the boxes hadn't come yet but since they fit in my desktop humidor, I figured the cooler could wait a bit. Last night saw a good deal on a box of lfd double ligero chisels.. so I think a cooler is actually necessary now..

At least I'll be ready..

Cheers

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Holy hell! That's a lot of cigars. I can see how easy it would be to get there, though. I may end up following in your footsteps lol. I'd love to see a photo.