What's new

How reliable is this Cigar jar?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I work for a cigar shop and recently stumbled upon a Tat black humi-jar that was apprently shipped with the sticks. I'm unfamiliar with them so I do not know the history of these. Anyways, I was thinking about putting it in service on the desk at home and keeping the humidor down stairs in the basement for those cigars I plan on leaving for a bit longer. I don't have much right now in the way of cigars to put into my humidor so the jar will be unused for a while longer, but instead of walking up and down 2 flights of stairs to get a cigar to smoke outside on the deck I figure I can keep 2-4 sticks in the jar for the times I feel like going out onto the deck. I know its lazy, but I want to use the jar if possible but I'm not sure how well I can rely on the jar as it seems the seal isn't amazing, but if I use boevas or xikar pillows will they be ok?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,
James

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Throw a Boveda in there and your good to go. I can't do it here in AZ since I live on the surface of the sun and in order to prevent $600 electric bills I keep my house pretty warm while no one is home during the day.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
jars in general are actually valid. i would use bovedas, they are neater, and provide an early warning (uh-oh, it's flatter! need a better seal!). as for that SPECIFIC jar, i am sure someone on here has one and can tell you firsthand.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Throw a Boveda in there and your good to go. I can't do it here in AZ since I live on the surface of the sun and in order to prevent $600 electric bills I keep my house pretty warm while no one is home during the day.
Unfortunately in MI we are seeing mid 90's and up...apparently it hit 103 today but I'm at work and decided to stay inside all day so who knows. We are getting closer to the temps out there! lol

jars in general are actually valid. i would use bovedas, they are neater, and provide an early warning (uh-oh, it's flatter! need a better seal!). as for that SPECIFIC jar, i am sure someone on here has one and can tell you firsthand.
Since I was going to just store a few at a time I thought about putting a thin piece of cedar in there to separate the humidification from the cigars. Obviously I'm limited to the size I can put in there, but with only 1-5 sticks in my "collection" at a time I guess I can figure it out lol.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Sell the jar and buy a box or 3 of cigars :)----"
It's prob worth 150 or more on the 2nd hand market. Nice find.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jars are ok but understand that they are not for long term rest/aging. What they are is a convenient storage container that can be a pain sometimes unless you put enough cedar in them to help regulate RH. Don't leave them in direct sunlight but rather keep them in the shade or dark. The seal on them is just like tupperware...they seal very tightly which sometimes will cause the RH to go up more than you want. There's not a lot of room in them except for storage of 15 - 20 cigars depending on RG. A good RH media is a boveda pack or KL which will keep the RH at a constant.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Assuming its the Tatuaje black jar (ceramic) it'll be fine for keeping it on the desk for a temp humi. It's not airtight as much as Tupperware is but again you don't want it to. I wouldn't use it as any permanent aging type unit but for a few days to a couple of weeks it'll be fine. They came with an oasis type of humidification disc but I'd just pop a boveda pack in there. Personally like jfire says though, id put it up on the bay, last one I saw went for $155. G1

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I guess I never thought of its value as a rarity, I just want it for storage more than monetary gain. I'm not planning on always being short on sticks so the upfront gain from selling this and getting sticks just isn't worth it as this jar is amazingly beautiful. It will stay with me for its intended purpose, just looks awesome sitting there on the desk right now, even if I know its empty lol.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
If I came across one of those, I wouldn't sell it either. I think Jfire just wanted to bid on it :eyepoke:. I would also recommend Boveda for that application, just a great product and easy to use. Nice find, enjoy :thumbsup:.

Dan

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If I came across one of those, I wouldn't sell it either. I think Jfire just wanted to bid on it :eyepoke:. I would also recommend Boveda for that application, just a great product and easy to use. Nice find, enjoy :thumbsup:.

Dan
LOL, one of the best things about working at the shop is the amount of humidity packs which are available after restocking full boxes in the humidor.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Did you happen to find this jar at one of the Corona Smoke shops in your area? Perhaps Battle Creek?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did you happen to find this jar at one of the Corona Smoke shops in your area? Perhaps Battle Creek?
Jackson, Under a pile of crap which I'm surprised it didn't get broken considering everything that was broken around it. I've found some stuff that is far forgotten in all the stores, but Jackson seems to have a way of swallowing up items and unless you summon your inner Indy Jones you'll never find them. Got a few nice posters I'm saving now for when I move into a real house and can put them up. Last week I was given one of the black Tatuaje nylon backpack style bags with the drawstrings, again nothing amazing, but it adds to my hobby of collecting, saved that plus a few black Tat stickers to put up when I finally settle down.

Few weeks ago I found a few Tat black tubos hiding in one of the walk-ins, not sure what they were doing there, or what they are exactly, but found it amusing the amount of cigars which are hiding in the nooks and crannys of the humidors in all the stores.