What's new

How to add fans to a tower humidor

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
First off, this is largely influenced by a thread I found online. Thought I'd share my experience here.

My tower humidor has a bit of a humidity gradient where the bottom, where my Oasis is, can be often 70-75+ and my top around 62-65. I want everything closer to 65. I've been avoiding storing boxes immediately above my Oasis. The fixed shelves with drawers and the numerous shelves and boxes above it impede airflow. I decided to install four fans within the fixed shelves, behind the drawers.

Parts
parts.png

• 4x 40mm Case Fans.
  • 2x Multi-Connectors to go from Molex to fans. You can connect two fans per connector.
  • 1x Molex Y Splitter to connect the two multi-connectors to the one power adapter.
  • 4x Fan Extension Cables to extend the cable coming off the fans. Needed for top shelf fans, desired for bottom shelf for wire management.
  • 1x Molex Power Adapter.
  • Small screws to attach the fans to the shelves. I found one screw in each was more than sufficient as the sides of the cabinet keep it from turning.
  • Wire ties for cable management.
Installation
step1.png

1. Drill four holes in the back corners of the two fixes shelves. I used a 1 1/2" bit. It seemed like the right size to give maximum clearance for the fans while leaving enough room for the screws to bite in. The smaller holes on the right are for my Oasis.
  2. Clean up the mess. It makes a mess. Big one. MDF mess.step2.png
  3. Install the fans. On the right I have the fans oriented upwards so the air from the Oasis is pushed upwards. On the left I have the fans oriented downwards to create circular air movement throughout the cabinet. The fan cables should fit through the hole fine without damage (which is also why I only used one screw per fan.)step3.png
  4. Wire the fans up. Connect the fan extension cables to the fan cables. Connect each side to one of the multi connectors. Connect each multi connector to one of the Molex Y splits. Connect the Y split to the power adapter. Plug it in. Done. Pretty up the wires if that floats your boat.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Great post man and well done including the links on what exactly you got. :)