What's new

How warm is too warm?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My humi is currently at (and has consistently hovered around) 65%RH and about 74F. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the temperature to drop below 73, even though my humidity is pretty constant at 65%. I know both readings are accurate since I calibrated my digital hygrometer in a CTH (constant temp and humidity) room at work where the humidity is maintained with a tolerance of +-1% and a temperature tolerance of +-1F.

Am I risking ruining my sticks? Am I just asking for an infestation? Please let me know, I do not want to ruin the very first $150 of smokes I bought.

Thanks,
Matthew

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
You're in Minnesota and you can't get your temp below 73! Do you live in a blast furnace? Put the humidor in your basement, I'm in Green Bay and my temp is right at a constant 63 in the winter and about 66 in the summer.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Unless you have a wine cooler or temp override the humidor will stay at the rooms ambient temps. Your RH is good in the mid 60's. I would however not go above the 74 degrees. The warmer you go the better chance for the beetles to hatch.

You can do some research on freezing the cigars in the storage section here and follow those directions to the tee if temps can not be lowered.

Like others say, basement is the best. Keep WAY away from direct sunlight. Keep away from the air ducts and vents.

Good luck and happy smoking.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
You aren't guaranteed to get beetles at 74 degrees, but there is SOME risk at that temp. I wouldn't get overly worried, but if you can find a better place in the house definitely move the humidor there. As has been said, basements are typically a great place. Though really, in MN, I wouldn't think you would have that much trouble! What temp do you keep your house?

Patch58

Hospital Slave Labor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm here in MN too and had some of the same problems. I agree with Headbanger's comments that it is probable related to the ambient temp. I found that keeping my thermostat at 62 even in the dead of winter kept my humi's temp b/n 64 and 68.

Patch

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My problem is that I am in one of the upper floors of an apartment complex, so I really don't have the option to put it in a basement. I stuck it in the darkest corner of my room, but maybe I will have to make some room under my bed and make a little cigar cave down there.

For some reason, the ambient temperatures of the bedrooms are usually at least 4-5 degrees warmer than the living room/kitchen area. It is nice to know that I am not at an exceptionally high risk of beetles though, that was my biggest concern ATM.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
For some reason, the ambient temperatures of the bedrooms are usually at least 4-5 degrees warmer than the living room/kitchen area.
Ummm, then take it out of your bedroom! How about a pantry, or bathroom, smoke in the shower, yeah, that's it! I'd go with the pantry idea, or a closet out of the bedroom if it's so warm in there.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I wold recommend the closet for I live in Tracy, CA where in the summer, we can have 15+ days of 100 degree heat and a boat load of days in the 90's.

Best wishes!

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
My cigars regularly get up to around 80F and I don't seem to have any bug infestations in my personal stash yet. With that said over the years I have noticed that bug tend to show up when the humidity and temperature levels are high. At 65% with 74F I think you have an ideal 70/70 environment going. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you have the humidity under control.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how big is your humi???
Just a 50 stick desktop.

I tried sticking it under my bed in my cave with my guitar and other treasured goodies. I will let it sit and see if that brings the temp down after a couple days. If that doesn't work, I may try a closet, but if that doesn't work, I guess I will just deal with 74F.

Thanks for the input guys!