What's new

Humdior Seal

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a good method for determining if the seal on a humidor is sound? I lifted the lid up about 3 inches and dropped it, and got a nice whoosh sound. I had read that this is a good method to determine if the humidor is well-made but not sure if that would really indicate if it's got a good seal. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Justin

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Dollar bill method:

Place a bill on the edge of the humidor and then close the lid leaving half of the bill exposed. Then, try to remove it. If it comes out easily, well then that is a poor seal. If it takes some effort to remove, then that is a good seal. The greater the resistance equates to a greater seal.

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fred,

Thanks for the tip! Just gave it a shot. Actually tried something lighter and thinner than a bill and it took some effort to get it out with the lid closed, so I guess that's a good sign. :)

I have a glass top Montecristo Afrique humidor which I'm seasoning now. I have two shot glasses full of distilled water in there now: it's been at 58% RH for about a day: am I correct in my understanding that it could take a week+ to get it to around 65-68% RH with this method?

Thanks,
Justin

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Fred,

Thanks for the tip! Just gave it a shot. Actually tried something lighter and thinner than a bill and it took some effort to get it out with the lid closed, so I guess that's a good sign. :)

I have a glass top Montecristo Afrique humidor which I'm seasoning now. I have two shot glasses full of distilled water in there now: it's been at 58% RH for about a day: am I correct in my understanding that it could take a week+ to get it to around 65-68% RH with this method?

Thanks,
Justin
you can speed things up quite a bit by using a good size sponge soaked in distilled water. put the sponge in the bottom of the humi on top of a plastic baggie or saucer. the goal is to get the humidor up to about 80% humidity. if it only hits 70, its going to drop once you remove the shot glasses. Boveda seasoning packs are designed to bring your humidor up to 84% for seasoning.

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend a good method for determining if the seal on a humidor is sound? I lifted the lid up about 3 inches and dropped it, and got a nice whoosh sound.
You did right. Should have no worries there.:thumbsup:

We collect and smoke cigars..... It's not rocket science so no need to spoil the fun and make it all complicated.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flashlight method: Take everything out of the humi and put it in a dark room. Put a flashlight in the humi. If you can see light, there are gaps.

Oh, and turn on the flashlight... :skew:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Hehe, very true knife, but a glass top makes the flashlight method difficult. :wink:

In all seriousness, you can tape a piece of paper over the top of the lid to cover up the glass and it should work fairly well.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
The flashlight method: Take everything out of the humi and put it in a dark room. Put a flashlight in the humi. If you can see light, there are gaps.

Oh, and turn on the flashlight... :skew:
This is less effective with a glass topped humi