What's new

Humi Temp Help

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Hey gents

The wifey turned off the air on me.

I have a Magic Chef 50 bottle wine fridge I converted to a humi. All has been well and perfect with 70/70 storage.

I came home today to 70% and 73 degrees. What does that do to me? Should I turn the air back on? Is there a "max temp" that I should call my ceiling? When do bugs appear (temp)? Is there a way to convert the cooling option on the fridge. I beleive it's highest temp is in the low 60's when it comes to degrees.

Help me, I'm freakin out here.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
73, dont sweat it, 76 start worrying, 80+ do something. Beetles can hatch at 65+, but I understand it really speeds them up when it gets to around 80, my house gets to 78 somedays in the summer, I dont worry about it, but I freeze certain sticks upon arrival.

marccote

Cigar Companero Editor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bu only if it has not had the eggs destroyed,, see my post on freezing just now, (IT) once over 75 it is more likley 80 + you will probably see som ebugs in a few days or a week if they are not treated by the manufacturer,

Relative Humdity Lesson !!! as far as I know this is a laymans method and usually close form what i understand but I could be completly wrong but works for me and i have been told by experts to use the 140 method.

70/70 equals 140/2

65/75 equals 140/2

60/80 equals 140/2

50/90 equals 140/2

40/100 equals 140/2

relative humidity is a pressure reading not a measurement really if you think about it,, it was 20% Humidity and 100d today in Phoenix, the Rh was about60% which was good for cigars had the heat not been so hot that would have probably dryed the leaves out a littel too much,, so you dont want to get too much over 75 ,, 80 is pushing it and I keep my house at 78% and have one humidor that is about 65% humidity and the cigars are fine,, my other humidor is in the wine fridge at 65 degrees 70% humidity, my igloodor is 70/70 and monitored by a CMT monitor and requires litle attention sometimes,, except when the outside air gets too humid the humidity goes up about 5%,,

rule of thumb I have been told is to not go more than 5 degrees on either temperature ro humidiity and you r cigars will probably not go through Rh shock which is really the obvious danger to cigars,, especially the taste

once again should be a mini article
© Cigar Companero Online Magazine - Marc Cote

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
After much deliberation (bitchin) last night with the wifey, the air is back on.

Going to get calibrated with the system my friend Dave hooked me up with.

Thanks Dprice.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Good to hear you won the arguement. I too get a lot of static form the wife when it comes to leaving the air on.

When we go away for a few days in the summer, i always put all my cigars in one room and put a little window unit AC in it and turn it on to keep the temp down. Our house can get up to 90 deg in the summer with no air on.