What's new

Humidification Help

Big Mulac

who is John Galt?
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ron, I was directed your way by Wade. Any thoughts / recommendations?

Originally Posted by Big Mulac
Have some questions for my Brothers:

1) been looking at electronic humidification systems. Any recommendations? Using the inside dimensions, the total storage area will probably be right at 10 cubic feet.

2) thinking about cutting in a glass top. Any recommendations on glass type?

3) is there any type of lighting that is harmful to the sticks?

4) I have removed all of the tin and old insulation and I am thinking about lining the inside of the oak cabinet/ice box with some closed cell rigid insulation, a vapor barrier, then 1/4" spanish cedar. Any thoughts?

I'll keep posting on the progress or lack thereof...

1) Talk to RonC and look into the Accumonitor, it's a very nice system and will take care of a cabinet that size beautifully. It's a professional humidification system, top notch.

2) Unless you really really really want to show your sticks off or have a nice dark area to keep them in normally, ditch the glass. If you really want glass, go for it, type is not critical, textured is nice, but pricey. You can see an example of "seedy" glass in my gallery I think, there may be a pic of my humidor in there.

3) Incandescent is not good, LED will never hurt, stay away from Halogen at all costs, way way way to much heat.

4) That'll work, the vapor barrier is a good idea, although not necessary and the Spanish Cedar of course will work fine too. One thing to keep in mind with that insulation is it does do a nice job keeping your humidor cool, but insulation works both ways, if it keeps it cool, it'll keep it warm too IF your humidor gets warm. Just sayin'! Insulated humidors work best with a cooling system.

Good luck,
Wade

Last edited:

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
the accumonitor 5-10 will work fine in there

i would not cut the top, dont ruin the value of that awesome cabinet

you want low temp lighting

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I agree with Ron 100%, go with the accumonitor and please don't cut a hole in that beautiful cabinet.

Big Mulac

who is John Galt?
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not planning on cutting any holes. There is a hole in the base of the bottom compartment (from the original drain line) that I'll use for the cord. I probably won't put glass in the top, but go back with the original look. I'm talking to a local guy to do the stripping of the existing finish, and I plan on refinishing myself, letting the 'distressed look' of the oak alone. My brother, age is beautiful, so I'm going to show it (on the cabinet, already doing that for myself). I wont be trying to make it look 'brand new.' It's too bad I have to go to work (or I'd be working on this). Thanks for the comment.