What's new

Humidifying a Travel Humdor?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys - I have a 5-cigar X-treme travel humidor. It has a built-in Oasis foam humidifier in the lid. I've used this humidor a number of times, and I always add a few drops of solution to the humidifier before I add the cigars. It seems to work OK, but most of my trips with this thing have been pretty short - 2 or 3 days.

What is the best way to use this humidor? It occurs to me that for a 2-3 day trip, just keeping the cigars in an airtight box is probably sufficient to keep them in good shape. I normally carry four or five sticks with me, usually smoke about two (depending on what I'm in the mood for), and bring the others back and put back in the cooler. Should I be adding the solution each time, or just putting the cigars in dry?

Appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks,
-Greenhouse.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
In my opinion you only need to added distilled water, I wouldn't use the "PG Solution" but maybe twice (2) a year.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Agreed with the Boveda. Put one in my girl's 15 count this summer, still going strong. I just keep a small puck in my 30ct, but want to switch to a small HCM tube.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
It occurs to me that for a 2-3 day trip, just keeping the cigars in an airtight box is probably sufficient to keep them in good shape. and bring the others back and put back in the cooler.

You got it right there above. Even if were a longer trip I don't feel the need to add anything to the box. Getting them back to the cooler give some time to acclimate before smoking.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I don't use anything in my travel cases. I sometimes store my extra gel tube in them, but that's about it. I usually don't have cigars in my travel cases for more than a day or two though.

Dan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Guys. Before I bought the travel humidor, I usually just put a few cigars in a zip-lock baggie. I can't really tell any difference in the cigars between that method and the travel humidor, with or without humidification. A longer trip, of course, is a different story. For a week or more, I would think the cigars would start to dry out without some humidification.

Thanks
- Greenhouse.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I don't use the humidifier that came with them I just put a small boveda in and be done with it. Then you have no worries.

Posted via Mobile Device
While this may be the best/easiest way of keeping it regulated doesn't work for me since procuring boveda packs is a pain in the ass where I am and expensive. I got a small puck of beads from Viper (www.heartfeltindustries.com) and replaced it with the one that came with the x-treme case. My travel case is always in my car with atleast 10 odd cigars in it and can go up to 2 months may be even more without requiring a recharge.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
356   0   0
i also use a tube w/heartfelt beads for my bigger traveldor. i don't use anything for my fiver cuz they won't be in there for very long....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, Dan. I used to have to worry about them getting crushed. That's what I liked about the X-treme case. Now I can just toss the case in the suitcase or briefcase and not worry about it.

The heartfelt beads are a great idea for a bigger box. I use them in my cooler and they do a terrific job of keeping the humidity constant. I've resisted buying a bigger travel humidor because most of my longer trips are to Europe, and there are obviously cigars available there that we can't get here. I usually buy 2-3 at a time and just keep them in a zip-lock until I run out and go buy more. Now, if I were going somewhere remote, where cigars weren't available, I'd have to come up with another system.

- Greenhouse.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unless you are going to be away for a couple of weeks, you don't really need any humidification (depending on how dry a climate you will be in and how much time the humidor will be open). Having said that, I usually do one of the following. If the floral foam is not removable, I will add PG solution to the foam when I first get the humidor. After that, I will just add about 2-3 drops of distilled water before I go on a trip. Alternatively (and preferably), if the floral foam is removable, I take the humidifier element apart and replace it with beads. Then I just add a couple of drops of distilled water before going away.

SuperKrishna

Guyanese Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don't add any humidification to my travel box, as a general rule of thumb. I like to dry box my sticks in there for the week and they seem to smoke better after 3 to 4 days in the travel box with no additional humidification.