What's new

humidity fluctuation

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, looking for a little help with my humidors.

Ive been smoking for awhile but i just recently started getting a lot to where i actually needed a humidor, i have 2 100ct (it was cheaper this way for me) glass top humidors. I seasoned them well, and am using cigar juice solution. The trouble im having is the humidity fluctuates between 65-75, not really all to horrible but i would like for it to stay more steady, since there i often go a long time with out being able to look at them and monitor them. Is there anyway i can get them to stabilize around 70-72?

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Check the seals on the humidor. Some glass tops don't have the best seal. You can do this by the "drop test" where you hold the lid 3-4 inches open and let it drop. If the seal is good it won't slam shut. If it slams then run a dollar bill around it and see if the lid seal is good by laying the bill halfway out, close the lid and see if there is resistance when pulling the bill out. If there is resistance then you may need to seal the glass with some odor free aquarium sealant. Also, make sure your hygro is calibrated to ensure true humidity readings. How do the cigars feel/smoke?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
standard foam based humidifier with pg solution? you're holding pretty good rh for that set up. I wouldn't worry, but when are you noticing the fluctuation. During tempature changes? when it is opened? these are all normal occurances. If they smoke fine, then I'd leave as.

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
well i learned this winter plays hell on your glass top humidors. mine got super dry i actually had to put a small cup of distilled water in it to keep the rh up. that is before i tried any other media. I agree with these guys on the beads. they take away extra moisture and also give off moisture when it is too low. Depending on how often you open and close your humidor though, your going to get fluctuations.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
With Glass top humidors can be a number of different things. More info will help narrow it down.Are you using digital Hygrometers? If they are analog you cant trust them. If digital did you calibrate them? How often are you adding the Cigar Juice? If your not having to constantly add solution your problem is probably due to temperature swings.

In order to hold a steady Rh your going to have to use "active" form of humidification.
Heartfelt beads Heartfelt 70% beads
HCM bead HCM beads
Boveda, available at most cigar retailers.