What's new

Humidity in my Coolidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the game, so I started off small...
I have an Igloo Ice Cube (12 qts) with half a cedar box for a base, some cedar lining around the sides, filled with about 25 sticks. The cooler is not quite half full.

I got a 1/2 lb of 65% beads and a digital hygrometer from Heartfelt, and calibrated the hygrometer with a Boveda pack until it read dead on.

After sitting for two weeks, the cooler still reads 72degrees/70% - both higher than I would ideally like. My options are limited on the temp (4th floor apt), but I think 72 degrees should be OK as long as it doesn't stray higher. But with the humidity, I can't get it to settle to 65%. The beads are about half saturated/half dry right now. I've tried leaving the cooler open overnight to dry it out a little, but as soon as I close it with the beads inside, it's back to 70% - dead on and not changing. I checked the cal on the hygrometer a second time and everything is good there.

I'm thinking maybe the beads were labeled wrong - maybe these are 70% instead of 65%. Either that or the cooler needs longer than 2 weeks to settle.

What do you guys think?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Coolers have excellent seals and don't require a lot of beads to achieve the desired results.. the humidity can be higher than normal if the cooler is mostly empty and full cooler will better regulate humidity than an empty one.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Also if you have alot of smokes in this cooler that are newer they may need to "settle down" and release some humidity.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
just give it some time to settle down. 70% humidity wont hurt your cigars. You might follow Daves instructions on how to dry out the beads. Put them back in the cooler dry, then they should do a faster job of bringing the humidity down closer to 65%

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick responses guys! I'm not so much concerned, just obsessed. (you know how it is...) I'll give it time to rest for a while.

On the matter of acquiring more sticks, I should have about 10 more waiting at my doorstep when I get home today! :grin: