What's new

Humidity in my Vinotemp 28

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I bought a Vinotemp 28 the other day and have some questions about the humidity I am getting. I got 2 lbs of the 65% Heartfelt beads and put half in the bottom and half in the top. Until I get my drawers and shelves from Chasidor I've got all my cigars in various boxes. I have a pair of Diamond Crown hygrometers in the vino... one on the bottom and one on top. I already had one that was pretty acurate the last time I tested it. I purchased another one at a cigar shop in Wichita that is showing the same humidity and is one degree off on temperature when having them side by side so I gotta think that they are pretty acurate. I have had this set up for a little more than a week and the temperature has been stable at 66 degrees. The humidity has been stable at 59-60% in the bottom and 57% at the top. I have an oust fan running that I fear was a waste of money because it just doesn't seem like it is moving any air.

What do you suppose is causing my ph to run 5-7% lower than what the beads are rated at? Could it be the boxes that I put the cigars in? I have tried adding a bowl of distilled water without any improvement in the humidity levels. I have seen others say that 2lbs of beads is plenty for a Vino 28 but I am wondering if I need another pound. The cigars seem just a bit dry when I smoke em but not to the point that they are trying split on me but enough that I am a bit worried about it. I have about 150 cigars in there with probably another 50 on the way. This is a pretty good investment for me and I would hate to see them ruined because I couldn't get the humidity up.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I'm having the exact same problem. It's been running for four days now at around 56 humidity, 68 degrees. I only have a pound of beads, I may have to add another pound. I'm using 65% beads, and also tried setting a cup of distilled water inside over night with little rise in humidity. Wish I could help, but I'm in the same boat! Help us out BOTL!!!

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
First thing I would do is check your beads. Are they 70-75% clear as the FAQ thread suggests? You may want to add some distilled directly on to them.

More info: [ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=1663"]Heartfelt Beads, Frequently Asked Questions - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame]

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
It could be a number of things. You definitely need to calibrate both hygrometers, just to eliminate that variable and get a true reading. Assuming because they are both similar readings doesn't ensure they are correct.

Also, having only had it for a few days the boxes could possibly be absorbing water. How often are you having to water your beads is a way of telling if the wood is absorbing. Opening and closing the door will affect your readings as well. The main reason I believe a lot of us get the custom built trays/drawers is because the cedar will absorb the moisture until stabilized and help regulate the humidity. I have found in my experience it takes at least 2 weeks to get a humidor seasoned to the point it is usable.

Another good practice is to have at least 25% more beads than you need, too many beads is never an issue where as too few is.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
go find your self a brovida pack at 75%. they are desinded to calibrate a hydro. I use them twice a year and are well worth it. Put the pack and the hydro in a qurat zip lock bag and let it alone for 4 or 5 hours. then rest the hydro and it will read 75%. works great. Make sure you only have 3/4 or less of the beads wet.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
You guys should give the project more time... a week is a good start, but we have brothers who took a month before seeing stable results in their boxes.

Also, good advice to calibrate the hygros... these are very commonly the weakest link.

As another brother said, opening the door too much could be undoing your hard work too... here in Phoenix I can see my humidor go from 64% down to 54% in about 45 seconds... that's a LOT for beads to recover from and respond to.

One thing I would add to what other bros have said, is that it might be a worthy investment to wire up a small PC fan to actually get some air circulation... but it won't take much.

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hmm, I have an 18 bottle and it's been keeping it's humidity great! I have a half pound of 65% beads on the bottom, and the other half near the top w/ an oust fan by the bottom bag. Mine charged back up to 65%+ almost instantly after I close the door. Though, mine is pretty full and doesn't need to be running so that helps. The more it runs the harder it is to keep the humidity up, IMO. If its cool enough in your home, try shutting her down and see if the humidity regulates at all.

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
My Vinotemp 28 nailed 65% on two different hygro's within a day.
Did you check the seals on the door itself?
Try slipping a dollar bill in between the seal and the door. If you can get it in anywhere, you may be leaking.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Give it time for the boxes to absorb the moisture. If the boxes have a finish on them they will not absorb the moisture. Once you get your trays you can stabilize it better. Mine run between 62 degrees and 65 to 60%. Never have a problem with my cigars. They smoke great and no splitting. It will work it self out just keep an eye on it. Do not worry to much or you will over react.

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I wondered about the boxes sucking up the moisture. I don't open the door very ofter... mostly to grab a smoke and I check the hygrometer while I'm doing that. I will just let it ride and make sure the beads stay charged to the proper level.

Thanks for the feedback!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
yep if you put you smoke in dry cigar boxes, then it will take the beads a couple weeks to moisten all the wood in there. Once it has the RH will be much more stable and will recover more quickly with the help of the seasoned wood.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
All good suggestions, look into Shilala beads too. Best purchase I have made when it comes to proper humidification. I think they are magic...